Figures of 6 for 25 by leg-spinner Yuzvendra Chahal during the third T20 in Bengaluru stunned England. 26 year-old Yuzvendra bloomed like a champion in this T20 series. Though, people who have witnessed his performance before are not surprised as his fans are well aware of his cricketing skills and talent.
Last year, BCCI while announcing India’s limited-over squad for the upcoming Zimbabwe tour decided to give a chance to some youngsters as well and Yuzvendra Chahal was one of them. His selection didn’t come as a shock as Yuzvendra had already performed phenomenally during the IPL 2016 while playing for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB). He was the purple cap holder of the tournament with 19-wickets.
Yuzvendra Chahal is a new era cricketer and here are some interesting facts about him that will make you his biggest fan!
1. Born on 23rd July, 1990, Yuzvendra Chahal hails from Jind district of Haryana, India. Since his childhood, he has an interest in both cricket and chess.
2. Yuzvendra Chahal, who represents Haryana in Ranji Trophy, is the only player to represent India in chess and cricket.
3. In 2002, Chahal was U-12 national chess champion. He has represented India at the Asian Youth Championship (U-12 category) in Kozhikode and U-16 India at the World Youth Chess Championship in Greece.
4. He is still listed on FIDE’s (Fédération Internationale des Échecs/ World Chess Federation) official site. As per latest FIDE ratings, Chahal’s rating is 1956.
5. Yuzvendra Chahal had full support from his family but he had to change his focus from cricket to chess as he could not find a sponsor for himself.
6. Apart from cricket and chess, Chahal also has an interest in football. He is a Real Madrid supporter and his favorite footballer is Cristiano Ronaldo.
7. In 2011, Chahal first played for the Mumbai Indians. At that time, Harbhajan Singh was the team’s main spinner but the same year Chahal claimed 2 for 9 in Mumbai’s Champions League T20 victory.
8. While representing the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the 2016 IPL, Chahal was the second highest wicket-taker. As RCB reached the final of the competition, Chahal finished with 21 wickets.
9. RCB bought their leg spinner at the IPL Player Auction 2014 with the base price of 10 lakhs. Even in 2011, he was bought by Mumbai Indians at the same base price.
10. In his very second ODI, he was the man of the match after taking three for 25 runs. The match was against Zimbabwe at Harare in June, 2016 and India won the match by eight wickets.
11. The 2016 match against Zimbabwe is remembered for Chahal bowling a seam-up delivery at 109âÂ¯km/h.
12. Chahal has played 20 first-class matches, 25 List-A matches, and 77 T20 matches till date, where he has taken 37, 25 and 80 wickets respectively.
13. A complete child at heart, Chahal is a self-acclaimed prankster. He is mischievous, jokes a lot and likes to keep the atmosphere light.
14. Chahal has a huge crush on Katrina Kaif. He drools over her smile and says that she is his dream date!
15. Yuzvendra Chahal became the first Indian bowler to claim a five-wicket haul in T20 internationals in the third T20 against England on February 1, 2017