It is people who make a place – any place – feel more alive. If there were no people, a place would fall to desolation and would wear a look that can be best described as creepy. That creepy look earns the abandoned place a certain degree of notoriety, and people start calling it haunting. But not all haunting places need to scare your wits out; some can be fascinating to visit and photograph.
2. A tree growing through an abandoned piano
3. Church in St. Etienne, France
4. The Titanic wreck
Perhaps one of the most haunted places beneath the sea. The above picture is an illustration.
5. Poveglia Island, Italy
The island was a dumping ground for plague victims during French ruler Napoleon Bonaparte‘s reign.
6. Island Home, Finland
7. Shipwrecks in a sandbar, Bermuda Triangle
8. Overgrown palace, Poland
No one would agree that the Polish royalty once resided here.
9. Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, California
Look closely and you’ll notice that the bottom half of the picture looks exactly similar to the top half. That is because of the mirror effect due to flooding. (There are not two lights on the third pillar from left, just one)
10. Chris McCandless’ magic bus, Stampede Trail, Alaska
Bus 142 of Christopher McCandless, an American hitchhiker whose story was told through the movie “Into The Wild”. No need to say more.
11. Turquoise Canal, Venice, Italy.
12. Victorian-style tree house, Florida, USA
13. Tree growning around an abandoned bicycle
14. Staircase to nowhere, Pismo Beach, California
15. Nara Dreamland, Japan
Opened in 1961, the park closed in 2006 because of low visitor numbers. Quite a fast decay, must we say!
16. Abandoned mining track, Taiwan
17. Abandoned Jetty
18. Bare footprints in an abandoned nuclear reactor
19. An abandoned waterpark
21. Boathouse, Obersee Lake, Germany
22. Library, Russia
23. Abandoned hallway
24. Doll factory, Spain
25. Methodist church, Gary, Indiana
26. Movie theater in Detroit, Michigan
Detroit has recently fallen into despair and many of its historic buildings have fallen into disuse.
27. Church in the snow, Canada
28. An abandoned church with a few lingering parishioners, Netherlands
29. Blue spiral staircase in a European castle
30. Soviet naval testing station in Makhachkala, Russia
31. Church steeple peeking out of a frozen lake, Reschen, Italy
32. Glenwood power station, New York
33. Flooded mall
34. Abandoned theater
35. Car graveyard, Ardennes, Belgium
The cars belonged to American soldiers of World War II who found them too costly to ship back home.