You didn’t have the Internet back then. There weren’t any gadgets, video games, appliances and so many other things that have now become everyday necessities for kids and adults alike. It is perhaps because of these reasons that your childhood was way different than other kids who grew up in the 90s or the 21st century. It was wonderful, and full of excitement.
Did you grow up in the 70s or 80s? Let’s step back in time.
1. The sheer delight of discovering this in a bush.
2. We knew how to fix this.
Just put it in boiling water for some time and there you go… magic!
3. Many of us kept flowers and feathers in our books.
4. Everyone had smallpox vaccination scars in upper arm.
5. The good old insecticide sprayer we had in our homes.
6. There were no electronic toys around; the best live one we found were these.
7. And we were innovative with what we had.
8. Snake bites at 99 were terrible of all!
9. The best ice cream of those days – tutti fruiti.
10. We were curious about these gentlemen riding the trolley on railway tracks with red flag.
11. Vikram Betaal was eagerly awaited on DD.
12. And the Television – we had to operate it with the knob.
13. We had to reset the antenna several times a day to get a better signal.
At times, we’d just hooked connection to neighbor’s antenna!
14. Buniyaad – the 1st successful soap opera that gripped the nation.
15. Ye Jo Hai Zindagi – one of the best comedy serials of our times; neat, clean and actually genuine comedy.
16. The man we miss so much.
Kishore kumar and Mohammad Rafi too were very popular.
17. In our school times we had shoes of only this brand.
18. We grew up reading Champak.
19. The first love of so many young boys who grew up in 70s.
20. The legendary Jagjit Singh; many lived up their teen age listening to his ghazals.
Some were more into Boney M and others
21. The only cars we could spot on the roads were Ambassadors and Fiats.
Maruti entered the scene later.
22. This currency was all we got for pocket money.
23. Ajit jokes were very popular.
Saara shahar mujhe LOIN k naam se janata hai!
24. The most used soap in those days.
Tandrusti ki raksha krta hai LIFEBUOY, LIFEBUOY hai jahan, tandrusti hai wahan…LIFEBUOYyy
25. Do you remember this iconic cover from the mid 80s?
26. Back then, Dacoits still dominated the Chambal Valley and frequently made newspaper headlines.
27. It was in 70s that Amitabh Bachhan debut in Saat Hindustani.
It was the beginning of the era of the rebel angry young man.
28. When the Maharaja and his airline was having a good time.
29. Most kids back then used magnets for playing different types of game.
30. And these were very popular too.
“We didn’t realize we were making MEMORIES. We just knew we were having FUN.”
The ideas for this post came from discussions on a Facebook group That 70s and 80s Childhood (In India).
Do you have any childhood memories from the 70s or 80s you’d like to share? Drop your comments below.