Though English is the language that connects most of the world, in some instances, it doesn’t have as wide a scope as some other languages. Here are some words that have powerful or deep meanings in other languages, but they aren’t that easy to translate into English.
1. These are the moments regrets are made of.
2. It’s the dull ache of a soul that has nothing to long for.
3. You know the power of these types of jokes.
4. For this word, Milan Kundera said, “I find it difficult to imagine how anyone can understand the human soul without it.”
5. Sometimes parents think they know what’s best when then don’t.
6. Now this is a word that happens to me quite often.
7. There should be a limit to how many times you take “I’m sorry” seriously.
8. We’ve all been there.
9. There are some moments that define people in love.
10. The literal translation of this word is “gate-closing panic”.
11. Can we just call this ‘inner peace’?
12. Fado music is a type of mournful singing, which is related to saudade.
13. That away from home feeling.
14. Waiting for loved ones to come home sees the slowest passing of time.
15. This is a word that we see in action almost every day.
16. I hope you don’t have any such friends…and that you aren’t one yourself.
17. A warm, friendly and cozy demeanor is ‘hyggelig’.
18. The literal translation is ‘the call of the void’.
19. This word makes me both happy and sad.
20. The word originally described a spirit that possessed humans and made them feel in awe of nature.
Words via matadornetwork.