Bollywood – a colloquial term for Hindi cinema, has an annual capacity of around 200-300 films. Popular all over the world, Hindi cinema enjoys a sentimental appeal with their unique style of story-telling and song-and-dance sequences. And such is the love for Bollywood movies and its stars, that legions of adoring fans also follow a culture of worshipping Bollywood superstars. For instance, actors like Rajinikanth, Amitabh Bachchan have had temples built in their name. To give you a better insight: when Big B was recovering from a near-fatal accident on the sets of Coolie in 1982, prayers were offered by fans across the country. Fans even went to the extent of observing roza (fast) throughout the time that Bachchan was in the hospital and offered namaaz five times a day as a prayer for his recovery.
Here we are giving you some interesting facts about Bollywood you probably didn’t know.
1. Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan has acted in more than 300 movies. He has been nominated 226 times for different films and won 207 times among them. He has been awarded the best actor 29 times.
2. Kalki is known for her critically acclaimed films like Dev D and That Girl In Yellow Boots. We all know that Kalki has French parents. But did you know that Kalki’s grandfather Maurice Koechlin was the chief engineer for the construction of the Eiffel Tower and Statue of Liberty.
3. Deepika Padukone made her debut opposite Shah Rukh Khan in 2007 blockbuster Om Shanti Om, directed by Farah Khan. Today she is amongst the top paying actresses of B-Town. She is also the only Bollywood actress to enter the Rs 500 crore club.
4. Raj Kapoor’s Mera Naam Joker was released in 1970. It is considered to be one of the lengthiest film of Indian Cinema. Due to its length, it was given two intervals. This was something that never happened before and hence it became the first Hindi movie to have two intervals.
5. Heroine is considered way ahead of its time by some critics. It is one of the most talked movie of Madhur Bhandarkar, who is known for making films that shows the naked truth of our high society. In this movie, lead actress Kareena Kapoor wore more than 130 dresses from top fashion designers all over the world.
6. Sridevi was only 13, when she played the role of Rajnikanth’s stepmother in a Tamil film called Moondru Mudichu.
7. Lagaan was the first Indian film to be released in China.
8. Tom Cruise was actually considered for the role of Rahul in Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. Imagine him singing Tujhe Dekha To Ye Jana Sanam!
9. Mughal-E-Azam was a trilingual film that was shot simultaneously in Hindi, Tamil and English. When Tamil version flopped, English version was aborted immediately.
10. Indian Directors always strive to get nominated for Oscars, and yet there dream rarely come true. Out of very few Hindi movies that are nominated for the Oscars, Mother India was the first. It was nominated in the category of Best Foreign Language Film.