Exhibit A: You are a Muslim. Exhibit B: You are a woman.
Welcome to the jungle. Humans of the world might have sent a few specimen to the outer space, but when it comes to nurturing prejudices we hold on to them with dear life. A young, Muslim woman of the 21st century is tired of prehistoric cliches and “expert opinions”. The next time you hear any of these, you know how to respond:
11. Why Don’t You Wear A Burkha? You Are A Muslim, No?
10. If You Wear a Burkha…Is it Not Very hot inside?
You can boil an egg inside it. Why don’t you give it a try?
9. Trust Me; You Are Oppressed. All Muslim Women Are.
Oh, really? I thought we were oppressed by patriarchy.
8. You Must be OK With Violence?
Oh, yes. Muslim and violence are synonymous. Is that not so?
Don’t you see one out of every four women is a victim of domestic violence, irrespective of their faith, color or creed?
7. You Are Surely Not Religious. You Don’t Even Cover Your Head?
I am not. I am just human.
I cover my head when I want to LOOK religious.
You got a problem with that?
6. Relatives: ‘Bahut Ho Gai Padhai, Shadi Kab Kar Rahi Ho?’
5. You Surely Can Cook The Best Biryani In This World. You Are A Muslim; It Must Be In Your Blood.
May be you should taste my blood and not the Biriyani then.
4. You Can’t Even Drink Water during Ramadan. OMG! How About A Snack Then or May Be A Coke?
3. Oh! So You are a Muslim. You Don’t Really Look Like One.
I’ll tattoo it on my forehead for you. What are you? Sherlock Holmes? It is not your fault, it is Shutter Stock’s fault.
2. You Are A Muslim, So What are the Top 3 Things You Like About Osama?
1. So, You Can’t Drink Alcohol. You must be boring as F*ck.
Sure! And you must have majored in Stereotype-Geography.