The non-wardrobe lover, pajama-clad entrepreneur, Hugh Hefner, created Playboy mansion and brought sex revolution to the world.
1. Hugh Hefner is the founder and chief creative officer of Playboy Enterprises and editor in chief of American adult magazine – Playboy.
2. He is the elder son of Grace Caroline and Glenn Lucius Hefner, who were both teachers.
He was born on April 9, 1926, in Chicago, Illinois.
3. Hefner served as a writer for a military newspaper in the US army from 1944 to 1946.
4. He earned a degree in psychology with a double minor in creative writing and art in 2-and-a-half years.
Hugh went to Sayre Elementary School and Steinmetz High School.
5. Despite a high IQ of 152, Hefner was an average student during his school days.
6. In 1952, he quit working as a copywriter for ‘Esquire’ as they refused to raise his salary by $5.
7. In 1953, Hefner mortgaged his furniture, which helped him to generate a bank loan of $600.
Later, he was able to raise $8,000 from 45 investors, including $1,000 from his mother, to launch ‘Playboy’.
8. ‘Playboy’ was initially supposed to be called ‘Stag Party’.
9. The first edition, published in December 1953, featured Marilyn Monroe’s nude calendar shoot of 1949.
It sold over 50,000 copies.
10. Hefner was arrested in June 1963, for publishing and selling obscene literature featuring nude shots of Jayne Mansfield.
11. Hefner got married to a Northwestern University student, Mildred Williams, in 1949 and has two children with her.
12. In 2006, E! True Hollywood Story revealed that Mildred allowed Hugh to have sex with other women out of guilt for her infidelity and to save their marriage.
However, the two got divorced later in 1959.
13. Hefner suffered a minor stroke in 1985 at the age of 59, after which the lifestyle of Playboy mansion was toned down significantly.
And in 1988, his daughter Christie began to run the Playboy empire.
14. In 1986, he married Playmate of the Year Kimberley Conrad with whom he had two sons, Marston Glenn and Cooper Bradford.
However, the couple separated in 1998 and Kimberley moved into the house next door of the mansion.
15. On December 24, 2010, Hefner presented an engagement ring to Crystal Harris, and publicly announced his proposal of marriage.
The couple tied the knot on December 2012, when Hefner was 86 and Harris was 26.
16. Apart from donating large chunks of money, Hefner also donated $900,000 sought by a conservation group for a land purchase.
Which was needed to stop the development of the famed vista of the Hollywood Sign.
17. Hefner has revealed he has slept with thousands of women and has had multiple live-in-relationships at the Playboy mansion.