Teenage love is beautiful but often complicated. You don’t know how to make a move, when to let go and how far to stretch your limits. Hormones are all over and you wish you could grab a handbook on ishq-wala-love which explains it all.
This list is for all inquisitive teenage girls looking for some time-tested tips.
1. The question ‘how should I act’ shouldn’t bother you
Just be yourself. Don’t change for anyone.
2. Your smile can actually work wonders
Just flash him your most genuine smile. Your happy and pretty look will make you more approachable for him.
3. The boys are as scared
After all, everyone expects them to make the first move.
Don’t let their confidence and loud body language fool you. They are as confused as you are.
4. You can make the first move; you are a 21st century girl
Choose between getting rejected and letting a good boy pass you by. The latter is worse.
5. You can never force somebody to love you
You may be truly, madly and deeply in love but he may not feel the same at all. Accept it and move on. This phase will pass, promise.
6. If it is you putting in all the effort, he is not the one
If he likes you, he will reciprocate your effort. If you are the one texting him all the time, you need to do some serious thinking. But if he is an extremely shy guy (a rare species), hang on for some time.
7. There is no deadline for the first kiss
There are teenage girls who are in a mad rush for their first kiss. Stop putting that pressure on yourself. Just go with the flow.
8. If you are in the tiniest of doubts, just say NO
If you are not ready, just say it; loud and clear. Apply this rule to alcohol, smoking, sex and going to unfamiliar places.
9. Sex and love are not the same
A boy might tell you a bundle of lies, but having a physical relationship (or not) has nothing to do with love at your age.
10. Sometimes, you need to pick your gals over the boys
Boys will come and go but friendships will last a lifetime. When you have to make a choice between the best buddies and the boy you think you are totally in love with, opt for the former.
11. Let there be enough room for you two to breathe freedom
If you want the relationship to grow and turn into something beautiful over the years, remember to give him space. Likewise, don’t hesitate to ask for the breathing room when you need it.
12. The world does not end with a break up
You’d be one of the luckiest few if your teenage love lasts a life time. Relationships are hardly immune to breakups. Yes, it hurts like hell, but it is not the end of the world. There are tens of other things too that you should be concentrating on during this time of life.
13. Don’t let the absence of a boy stop you from growing
Focus your energies on living your life to the fullest. You have your studies, friends, hobbies and family. This is the most beautiful part of your entire life and it would be a shame if you wasted even few weeks regretting something you don’t have.
14. It is absolutely cool to stay single and have fun with close friends
Don’t be in a rush to date.
15. Remember, love is a two-way street
Look for a boy who returns your feelings. Mutual respect, fun quotient and chemistry – all these are must-haves for a relationship to work.
16. You don’t always have to go public about a relationship
Not all of your batch mates, neighbors and others need to know that you are in love. You can also request him not to post anything online if you are not okay with it.
Love is not something to be boasted off. It’s a personal matter and you may or may not want to let the world know about it.
Also remember that the digital trail is pretty hard to get rid of (should things go wrong).
17. Know your values and limits
Don’t get carried away.
18. Being emotional and sensitive does not mean that you are weak
Any guy who thinks you are inferior because you get emotional needs to grow up.
19. Smoking and drugs is not cool
No matter how sexy SRK and Ranveer Singh look with a fag, it is not cool to smoke or light up that joint just because you want to have more fun with your boyfriend.
These things haunt people for life. It’s better if you just avoid trying-them-out-just-once in the first place.
20. You are unique and you are beautiful
God creates no junk. Be a confident and smart girl; focus on your career goals, groom yourself and when it seems that the dream guy is just around the corner, don’t hesitate to follow your heart.
Love may come around tomorrow, day after or few years from now. Don’t rush. Rest assured, you will know like 100% if it’s true love or not. Girls have that gift.