Teenage Girl Raped For A Second Time After Cops Use Her As ‘Bait’ But Fail To Keep Her Safe

author image
Updated on 6 Sep, 2017 at 2:58 pm

A 17-year-old girl from Jalna, Aurangabad, has allegedly been raped twice by two men – once after local police decided to use her as bait to draw the two men out. Apparently, this plan to set a trap for the culprits was hatched even before an FIR was lodged in the case or the girl was sent for a medical examination.

On July 6, the girl was with a male companion when two men accosted them and dragged the victim to a nearby forest and raped her.



The culprits took the girl’s mobile phone, recorded the incident and asked her to give them Rs 2000/- if she wanted her phone back. On July 7, the victim went to the Taluka police station at 10 AM to lodge a complaint. When she was registering her complaint, she received a phone call from the accused who asked her to come to Mantha Chowk with the money.

Leaving the unfinished FIR, the victim was taken in a non-police vehicle along with a lady constable (and two motorcycle-borne policemen) to the spot.



However, the accused probably became suspicious and changed the location of the meeting twice, but didn’t not turn up either time. Then on July 9, the culprits again asked the girl to meet them. The girl was supposed to be escorted by the police but unfortunately, she mistook a regular patrol van that passed by her house to be her escort vehicle.

When she met the culprits, she was entirly alone and was raped for a second time. The ‘trap’ has been called “clear-cut violation of standard operating procedures”.



amazonaws Vishwas Patil


“The victim should have never been exposed to the accused. She is a minor and the case is delicate. It should have been treated more sensitively and should have been rehabilitated instead of being used to find the accused and solve the case,” said Special Inspector General of Police, Aurangabad Range, Vishwas Nangre-Patil. The alleged rapists were arrested a few hours later at a nearby train station, but the police are facing heavy criticism for their actions

Assistant police inspector Vinod Ejjapawar has been suspended, while sub-divisional police officer Dikshit Gedam is probing the case.



Ejjapawar is reportedly the one who came up with the July 7 trap. The first ‘trap plan’ was not registered in the station diary so it has no written proof but inquiries will be conducted into both traps. The victim’s complaint was finally registered on July 7 at 8:30 PM, after which she was sent for a medical exam to a government hospital in Gandhi Chowk.

The victim reportedly refused to complete hospital formalities or be examined by doctors. She was counselled and then underwent tests. A medico-legal case was registered at 9 PM on July 8.