Sushma Swaraj is one of the most respectable BJP leaders of all times. She is known as the best External Affairs Minister till date. She has made the Modi-led government proud and Indians abroad feel secure with the knowledge that an External Affair Minister is there to take care of them.
Even after getting admitted to the hospital for a kidney transplant, Sushma Swaraj didn’t forget her duties and kept doing her work throughout the year.
Today, Swaraj’s presence alone makes us feel that she is the new ‘Iron Lady of India’.
Here are the 16 unforgettable moments when Sushma Swaraj restored our faith in bureaucracy with her good work. These are the times when she gave her best to help the people who needed it the most!
1. When Sushma Swaraj promised to help Geeta, the speech- and hearing-impaired girl, find her parents. Geeta had crossed over to Pakistan several years ago and returned to India in October 2015.
2. When she helped Dutch national Suzanne Harmes find her sister Sabine Harmes.
The girl was on a spiritual journey in India and got lost. Suzanne Harmes made an appeal to Sushma Swaraj to find her sister. What next? Sushma Swaraj came out successful and made Sabine Harmes meet her family again!
My officers have located the missing Dutch girl Sabine Harmes. pic.twitter.com/cnh43a26Xg /2
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) February 29, 2016
Dutch national Sabine Harmes is flying to Netherlands to join her family there.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) March 2, 2016
3. When she brought home an Indian who had been stuck in court proceedings in Dubai for 2 years.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) November 30, 2016
After having a successful talk with the Indian embassy in Dubai, Swaraj brought him back to India.
We have brought him back to India and sent him to his village. He went up and down to the court 20 times over a year. That made it 1000 Kms. https://t.co/UGxjGE1Uhf
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) December 6, 2016
4. When she took a pledge to spare no effort in order to secure Indian priest Father Tom Uzhunnalil’s release from IS captivity.
5. When Foreign Affairs magazine honoured Sushma Swaraj with 2016 ‘Global Thinker’ title among other notable names like Hillary Clinton, Angela Merkel and Justin Trudeau.
6. When Sushma Swaraj was admitted to the hospital for her kidney transplant and people from all around the globe, including an ex-minister’s wife and Baloch activist, came together to offer their kidney for the kind minister.
— Ahmar Mustikhan (@mustikhan) November 16, 2016
7. Even after staying in the hospital, Sushma Swaraj continued to shoulder her responsibilities and help people.
8. When she came to help an Indian woman and her newborn baby who were left alone in the US after the death of the woman’s husband. The government also helped the woman with her newborn’s passport and visa.
9. When Sushma Swaraj helped a couple and played cupid. The wife lost her passport and Swaraj made sure that she meet her husband soon on their honeymoon.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) August 8, 2016
10. When the minister made an Indo-Pak wedding possible by helping the bride and her family with their visa.
11. When our External Affairs Minister became the most followed woman on Twitter.
12. When Sushma Swaraj’s work gathered all the praises even from the leaders of the opposition parties.
13. When she brought a much-needed change in the Passport Rules and made it simpler to help single mothers and orphaned children.
14. When she helped in the airlift of a woman weighing 500 kilograms to Mumbai for treatment.
15. When she informed actor Akshay Kumar that the ministry is helping in the evacuation of Indian nationals from Sudan.
Akshay Kumar ji – Pl do not worry. We are evacuating Indian nationals from Juba (South Sudan). https://t.co/Ppj3ojcIlm
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) July 12, 2016
16. When Sushma Swaraj’s every move gathered support from Twitter users, followers and even from the people living abroad.
Throughout the year, Sushma Swaraj did her best to do justice to her responsibilities and proved herself the best External Affairs Minister till date. She has made the ruling government proud and made us feel that, yes, someone is there who will not only listen to our problems but also take actions in order to help us.