When I watched ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ some 25 years ago, I had no idea I was giving in to some twisted form of mind control which insisted on drilling gender stereotypes and such like into young, impressionable minds.
Looking back, I realize just how steeped in nonsense these “family type” movies were. Sooraj Barjatya and his ilk made sure everyone could discern the gharelu type girls from the short-haired, mini-clad ‘modern’ types.
‘Maine Pyar Kiya’ ruined my generation. Here’s how:
1. Like, seriously?!!
2. Girls are whiny, sissies who’d rather cry than play tennis with a gloating, self-congratulating egomaniac.
3. Methinks this Barjatya fellow hates short-haired women.
4. Girls aren’t good at sports. Really, now?!!
5. ‘Modern’ girls aren’t respectful and ‘homely’.
6. Again with the dosti spiel.
7. Be ungrateful. And unapologetically so.
8. Be a blubbering mess, but not all by your lonesome.
9. Basic etiquette be damned!
10. Rajshri Productions telling us what ‘frandship’ is: