Facebook has become a part and parcel of our socially interactive environment. It is a useful tool to stay connected with our family and friends and the best thing – it is free to use. Facebook has provided us with numerous options to simplify and expand our horizon of networking including texting, calls, video calls, uploading images and videos, games, group chat, news and so on. We are far more connected to the world today than ever before. But alas, this vast connectivity comes with a price.
It has recently been revealed that the personal information of 50 million users on Facebook has been obtained by Cambridge Analytica, a British political research company.
Interestingly, they were able to extract all the data from a Facebook app that provided all the information of the users and also of their friends. It is unknown to a lot of people that they are giving out access to their Facebook profile and all its information when they download an app or sign in into a website via Facebook. Facebook profiles contain relevant information like email addresses, contact numbers, current location, pictures and videos. Sadly, not just the users but their friends also get caught in the loop of this breach of information.
However, the advertiser, Facebook ad-tech partners and Facebook-app developers may not be able to see your name and other information as Facebook anonymizes and encrypts all the data in order to protect your privacy, it still sells the data in bulk to various companies who are tracking us and our friends.
But now, you don’t have to worry any further about your privacy on Facebook as there are ways to protect your data. You can protect your data by making a few simple changes in your privacy settings.
Firstly, you need to opt out of ad-tracking. Secondly, you can easily look up the list of the apps in which you are logged in to your Facebook account and edit that list. This will give you an idea of how many companies are using your data and prevent data theft from happening before it is too late.
Take a look at the following steps that will guide you to block ad-tracking:
1. To deal with ad-tracking first, click on the down arrow at the far right of your Facebook page.
2. Go to Settings in the drop-down menu.
3. In the opened window, click on the Ads button.
4. There will be various sections of ads. In each section of the ads, click on Edit button. Inside the Edit menu, you will see how your Facebook account is used by the ads that other people are able to view.
5. Change the options in each button to ‘no one’.
Now, ads won’t be to tracking you any further.
Follow these steps to edit the list of app companies tracking you:
1. Within the ‘Settings’ option itself, click on the ‘Apps’ option.
2. The new window will show you the number of apps that are tracking your data. Ensure to click on the ‘Show All’ button to check every app.
3. Within the apps, you can choose to ‘Edit’ or ‘Remove’ the app according to your requirements. There can be numerous apps that you might not remember using, but they are there because your friends might be using them.
4. After you are done editing all you apps requirements, scroll further down click on the ‘Apps Other Use’ section.
5. Inside the ‘Apps Other Use’, you can view the various data you are unknowingly letting your friends see and regrettably that data is being seen by the apps your friends are using.
6. Un-check the boxes of those data you want to keep private.
That’s it! Your data is secured to a great extent. Share these methods with your family and friends to ensure that even their data is protected. Happy networking!