Siachen Braveheart Hanumanthappa Koppad Passes Away; You Will Live In Our Hearts

author image
1:58 pm 11 Feb, 2016

Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, the Siachen hero who was found alive after being buried under 25 feet of snow for 6 days, has died in Delhi’s Army Research and Referral Hospital (R&R Hospital) on February 11 morning.

Koppad breathed his last at 11.45 am on February 11.

A medical bulletin released by Army’s Research and Referral Hospital had said that Hanamanthappa had slipped into deep coma despite maximal life support with aggressive ventilation and dialysis.

He was monitored by a team of Critical Care specialists, comprising of HoD of Medicine, Senior Nephrologist, Senior Neurologist and a panel of experts from AIIMS, New Delhi.



PTI Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad

Koppad was part of ten people who were swept away by an avalanche at the Siachen glacier on February 3 and was initially presumed dead after no soldier was found for over 24 hours.

After six days of searching, the Indian Army had found him along with the bodies of nine other soldiers, buried under 25 feet of snow. He was found in a critical condition with a pulse and immediately evacuated by a helicopter from the site of the avalanche to Delhi in an IAF aircraft accompanied by a critical care specialist of the force and a medical specialist from the base camp.

It was said that he was found in a conscious but drowsy and disoriented state.

One India

One India Siachen rescue operation

On further inspection, it was found that he was severely dehydrated, hypothermic, hypoxic, hypoglycaemic, and in shock.

He was also suffering from pneumonia and his liver and kidney had started to fail.

Reportedly, he was able to survive due to air pockets in the layer of ice under which he was trapped.


Hindustan Times

Hindustan Times PM Modi at R&R Hospital on Feb. 11′ 2016

Koppad’s condition had deteriorated overnight, with his liver and kidneys not functioning. The oxygen supply to his brain had also become dismal and he was in  coma and on ventilator support for over 36 hours.

Minutes after the news about his death broke, Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent out a Tweet with condolences for the fallen soldier, others soon followed suit:








Popular on the Web