Countries fight and their people are the ones who suffer the most. The history of time has been testimony of the fact that women are the worst victims of wars. They not only struggle to build their identity but also to make their existence felt. They are looked down on as the inferior gender and mere puppets in the hands of men.
More shocking evidence from WW II has come to light which indicates wretched treatment of women. In a research conducted by students of Seoul University, South Korea, on Korean sex slaves used by Japanese soldiers during WWII has emerged with astonishing results.
WW II happened from 1939-1945 when the Marco Polo Bridge Incident (bridge where the Chinese and Japanese armies started firing at each other) led to a prolonged war between Japan and China, and September 1, 1939, when Germany invaded Poland, which led Britain and France to declare war on Hitler’s Nazi state in retaliation.
Due to a long-standing dispute over Japan’s wartime sexual slavery, it became crucial to come up with evidence. “This video clip will strengthen the admissibility of evidence behind wartime sex slavery.” Professor Kang said the footage was discovered at the US National Archives and Records Administration where it had been gathering dust for some 70 years. The clip tied in with wartime records showing a dozen sex slaves being captured in Songshan by the Allied forces in September 1944.
The women were registered by US soldiers, the research team said. Two of the women in the video had already appeared in previously released photos of “comfort women”.
Historians say tens of thousands of women from around Asia, many of them Korean, were sent to front-line military brothels to provide sex to Japanese soldiers.
The term “Comfort Women” was used to describe girls and women from South Korea, China, the Philippines and elsewhere, who were forced into prostitution in Japanese wartime military brothels. The safe houses were established to keep rescued women safe from enemy soldiers, but the protectors became savages and started exploiting the women sexually. Young ladies were abducted from distant villages and used to satisfy the male urge. They were forced to be part of prostitution and be at brothel.
South Korean activists estimate that there may have been as many as 200,000 Korean victims. Japan and South Korea agreed to resolve the issue “finally and irreversibly” in 2015 if all conditions were met. Japan made an apology here and promised one billion yen ($8.84 million or 57 crore) for a fund to help victims.
However the issue is far from resolved. Some of the few “comfort women” still alive have rejected the agreement and have demanded a personal apology from Japanese Prime Minister, Shinzo Abe.