Comic books, especially sex related ones, faced a hard time (due to strict regulation by the Comics Code Authority) before they finally found their place in the mainstream publishing. The organization has ruled that “Illicit sex relations are neither to be hinted at nor portrayed. Violent love scenes as well as sexual abnormalities are unacceptable.” And, even the mere mention of homosexuality in mainstream American comics was forbidden by the code until 1989. However, such restrictions led to the birth of the underground revolution. What started as a small-scale movement gained tremendous momentum, and larger publishers began taking notice; many underground artists later gained critical success in mainstream comics publishing.
From awkward adolescent encounters to positive portrayals of LGBTQ relationships, these 17 contemporary sex scenes in graphic novels that started more than 60 years ago are sure to pique your interest. Take a look.
1. Starting with a rather hotter note than usual with on bed graphic by M.K. Reed.
2. ‘Come on, let’s enjoy the game’ by Jeffrey Brown.
3. Both at its peak moment by Chester Brown.
Indeed how amazingly good it feels at that moment!
4. That scream of pleasure as well as pain moment by Julie Maroh.
5. That ‘come on, there’s no harm, let’s enjoy the game’ moment by Alison Bechdel.
6. That ‘Aw Shit, Oh My God’ moment by Charles Burns.
7. Hot make out session by Jess Fink.
8. That subtle gestures surrounding sex rather than explicit acts by Danica Novgordoff.
9. That fun time between the same sex by Tony Puryear and Erika Alexander.
10. That doggy style by Erika Moen.
11. That final agreement by both to indulge by Ariel Schrag.
12. Indeed the nicest thing one had ever experienced by Diane Obomsawin.
13. That at time frustration moment by Mimi Pond.
14. Going to experience for the first time by Adrian Tomine.
15. That talks after the make out session by Anya Ulinich.
16. With someone you never met before by Chris Ware.
17. All possible styles by Sophie Lucido Johnson.