Everywhere you look, everyone is trying to say something different about sex. Although sex is taboo in India, there are various rituals around the act across the globe.
1. Teenage girls in Cambodia can have sex with different men until they find their Mr Right.
Teenage girls of the Kreung tribe in Cambodia can have sex with different men until they find a perfect partner for themselves. The most outrageous practice has been adults or the parents building love huts for their teenage daughters.
2. Sex happens with underwear on in Inis Beag.
People of Inis Beag, an island off the coast of Ireland, perform sex with their underwear on. This is due to their reticent cultural inhibitions.
3. Teen boys can have sex with older women in Mangaia.
Boys who are thirteen or fourteen years of age have to practice sex with older women in Mangaia, an island in the South Pacific Ocean. They believe having sex with older women can help them to understand the perks of intercourse and also how to please their partner.
4. Boys and girls drink the semen of the mightiest warriors in New Guinea.
Boys and girls of the Sambian tribe of New Guinea, from the age of seven to ten years, have to go through various rituals in order to separate the boys from the girls. During this period, both undergo piercing and they also have to drink the semen of the mightiest warriors in the kingdom.
5. Men and women have sex with anyone other than their partner in Indonesia.
Some sects in Indonesia celebrate a festival which comes about seven times in a year. In this practice, people travel to a scared mountain called Java to bring good fortune. The ceremony involves having sex with some person other than the spouse. The only rule is that they need to have sex with the same person every time to bring good luck.
6. There’s a ‘No Sex Day’ in South Africa.
A South African community that is polygamous, practices a ritual of having no sex in a day. The community follows this rule to prevent having frequent intercourse in one day. Also, they avoid sex during a storm or after having a bad dream.
7. Pharaohs ejaculated into the river Nile in Egypt.
Some sects in Egypt believed that the earth was produced from the ejaculation of Atum, the God of creation. They thought that the flow of the Nile was due to Atum’s ejaculation. In order to maintain the flow, Egyptian pharaohs ritually masturbated and ejaculated into the Nile.
8. Austrian women serve apple slices from their armpits to the man of their choice.
In rural Austria, women practice a ritual dance with apple slices stuffed in their armpits. After a few hours of dancing, they offer a slice of apple to the man of their choice. If he takes it and eats it, they can have sex.
9. Woman marrying a man can have sex with his brothers.
Nestled in the Himalayas, certain cultures practice bizarre behaviors wherein a woman getting married to a man can have sex with him and his brothers. This practice is to prevent their lands from being divided among their sons.
10. Women dedicate themselves to fertility gods in Asia.
This is a common practice in India and other Asian countries. The practice involves a woman dedicating herself to the fertility gods and goddesses; then they satisfy the priest and sometimes the devotees too. The ritual, in some sense, is known as sacred prostitution, as sex takes place in the name of god and rituals.
11. Women are encouraged to intentionally expose themselves to men.
A polygamous society in Northern Bougainville encourages women to intentionally expose themselves to men to make themselves easily noticed for sex.
12. Young people in Chattisgarh are encouraged to have sex without getting emotionally attached.
Adolescents of the Muria tribe in Chhattisgarh are sent to a mixed sex dormitories where they can practice premarital sex with a single partner. Parents encourage their children to enjoy sex but not to get attached to the partner.
13. Homosexuality is widely accepted but heterosexuality is seen as abnormal in Egypt.
Homosexuality is widely accepted among the Siwa Ttribe of Egypt, and any straight people are considered abnormal there.