In February this year, Aam Aami Party (AAP) completed one year in office. The party rode on the ‘anti-corruption’ motto and claimed to bring transparency and accountability to the government’s work.
However, the response to an RTI inquiring about the details of AAP’s advertisements, including costs, was shocking.
The RTI was filed by Shailendra Pratap Singh after AAP launched a publicity campaign to showcase their achievements of one year in office. The party also advertised in other states where they plan to fight elections.
Singh asked the following questions in his RTI application:
1) How many mediums were used to spread AAP government’s work in Delhi?
2) Please provide name of agencies/companies in the below category
- Paper – Please list all newspaper names
- Mention other modes here if any
3)In how many states did the Delhi govt gave their achievement ads after the completion of 1 year? Please provide a list.
Also SeeTop Most Characters of Mahabharata
4) What was the total amount spent by Delhi government on these ads?Advertisement
5) For how many consecutive days the ads were given to above-mentioned mediums
6) Did Delhi government gave contract to any agency to carry out these advertisements, please provide the name & details of the agency.
But, the response that the government gave was “the required information was not available”.
So, if AAP talks about transparency, then why did they not provide the information? Isn’t it public’s right to know how their money is used?