Late in 2014, three girls from Rohtak, Haryana, thrashed a young man and his friends in a bus for alleged eve teasing. The three men were booked for molestation.
More than two years later, a Rohtak court acquitted all three men. The court, on March 3, observed that there was no ground to frame charges.
“From their (girls’) statements, it is clear that the real dispute arose because of the seat number,” the court stated in its judgment, according to DNA.
The court’s observation was based on the statements of 40 witnesses who said that the men had not molested the girls but were merely arguing over a seat.
In fact, the girl who filmed the video, too, told the court that the men had not molested the sisters.
In 2015, the police had filed a chargesheet along with the report of the lie-detector test conducted on the girls. The police had said that the allegations levelled by the two sisters – Pooja and Aarti – against the three accused — Kuldeep, Mohit and Dipak — are false.
In December 2014 another video of the Rohtak sisters thrashing some other boys in a park went viral. It led to many on social media questioning the ‘bravery’ of the sisters.
Second video raises questions about Rohtak ‘braveheart’ sisters http://t.co/MAl3nq04Cx
— Times of India (@timesofindia) December 3, 2014
At the time of the incident, the three men were aspiring to join the Indian Army.
Two of them, Kuldeep and Deepak, had cleared the all-important medical tests. Following the case against them, the Army barred them from appearing in the examination.
Quoting Rajesh Vakharia, president of the Save Indian Family Foundation, IBT reports that “there should be a misuse clause added to the laws, where if it is found that the complainants had registered a false case just to hassle the accused, the complainants are awarded the same sentence [as the accused if they had been convicted] if they are found guilty”.
The girls’ counsel said that they would appeal in a higher court.