India is celebrating its 70th Republic Day. The whole country celebrated this day with total gusto. While this day brings forth the promise of a better India, we can’t help but take a walk down the memory lane. Yes, we are talking about the Republic Day celebrations of the yesteryears. We have collected some of the old black and white images that perfectly capture the spirit of this day.
1. India’s first President, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, attending India’s first Republic Day celebration (1950)
2. The first Republic Day parade (1950)
3. Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru with the Guest of Honor, Indonesian President Sukarno (1950)
4. Dr. Rajendra Prasad with the Guest of Honor, King Tribhuvan of Nepal (1951)
5. Aerial view of the Republic Day parade (1951)
6. Dr. Rajendra Prasad driving towards the Saluting Base (1952)
7. Pandit Nehru with the Guest of Honor, King Jigme Dorji Wangchuck of Bhutan (1954)
8. Governor General Malik Ghulam Muhammad of Pakistan was the Guest of Honor in 1955 — the year that Rajpath became the permanent venue for the Republic Day parade
9. Madhya Pradesh float, a replica of Mahatma Gandhi’s hut (Bapu Kuti) in Sevagram (1956)
10. Dr. Rajendra Prasad with the Guest of Honor, Queen Elizabeth II (1961)
11. India’s first woman IPS officer, Kiran Bedi, leads Delhi Police (1975)
These Republic Day celebrations images are fascinating to say the least. Which one you liked the most? Do let us know in the comments below.