Do you have a sweet tooth? Is sugar your best friend? Can you not live without sugar? Yes, sugar is tasty but like all tasty foods, large amounts of sugar are not advisable for our bodies. ‘Sweet poison’ describes it perfectly. Here are few reasons why it should be completely avoided.
1. Sugar promotes wrinkling and leads to skin aging prematurely.
2. Added sugar is very bad for teeth as it provides easily digestible energy for the bad bacteria in the mouth causing bad breath and rotting of teeth.
3. Sugar is the storehouse of empty calories as it has no essential nutrients like vitamins or minerals.
4. Sugar supplies the body with a large amount of fructose content which is not useful for the body and if not processed in the liver, it gets stored as fats.
5. Sugar causes insulin resistance in our body leading to type II diabetes.
6. Excess sugar consumption has been associated with chronic diseases like obesity, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
7. Sugar is very addictive. This is because of the release of a substance called ‘dopamine’ from our brain which induces a feeling of pleasure.
8. Sugar is an ingredient which can lead to high cholesterol levels in the body.
9. Commercial sugar is rich in harmful chemicals and provides less energy as compared to natural sugar substances.
10. High blood pressure is also one of the problems linked to sugar consumption.
11. Mineral imbalance and osteoporosis is associated with sugar intake.
12. Diet of sugar and fructose impairs brain functioning.
13. According to a recent research, sugar can also weaken eyesight.
14. Apart from high blood sugar levels, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) is also very dangerous for health.
15. Sugary drinks available in the market contain artificial sugar which can cause serious brain damage.