Our country is under the threat of one of the biggest cyber attacks. The government is taking preventive measures to avoid getting largely affected by the virus. As safety measures, ATMs all over India have been closed. In the wake of the threat, MHA officials are currently taking care of the situations.
You are listening about Ransomware everywhere, but do you know what exactly it is and what all you can do to prevent its attack on your accounts? Here are the things you should know about WannaCry cyber threat to keep your data safe.
1. WanaCrypt0r 2.0, WannaCry and WCry which is widely being called as WannaCry, is a form of ransomware.
It encrypts your data by locking up your computer. It takes away your access to your data. Your computer can get Ransomware either by clicking on wrong links or downloading suspicious links. It locks things that you need to ransom.
2. WannaCry program locks up your data and then demands payment to give you access to your own data. However, Security experts warn there is no guarantee that access will be granted even after payment.
WannaCry affects in different ways: Some forms of ransomware simply locks up your computer and demands payment if you wish to log in. Others keep on showing pop-ups that are difficult and sometimes impossible to close and hinder your work. This virus even gives threats to delete your files.
3. WannaCry is not some random ransomware program, it’s a worm! Once it gets into your computer, it looks for other computers and tries to spread itself as wide as possible.
With its mutating habit, it changes over time to find different ways of accessing computers. Many security firms are already aware of WannaCry in past forms and most are looking at this one right now to see how it might be stopped.
4. It is being said that WannaCry exploited a vulnerability in the Windows operating system believed to have been developed by the US’ National Security Agency (NSA), which became public last month.
A group known as Shadow Brokers released a large number of hacking tools and other files and it was among them. Shadow Brokers told that they obtained it from a secret NSA server. However, Shadow Broker’s identity is still unknown but experts believe that the group has links with the Russian government.
5. People don’t always install updates and security patches on their computers and this makes vulnerabilities stay open for long and make things easier for hackers.
As per the experts, WannaCry exploited the vulnerability in Microsoft and that Microsoft patched this last month. To prevent such hacking, users should constantly make the backup of their data and install security updates on time. Up-to-date backups make it possible to restore files without paying a ransom. Users should keep a close check on their emails. As this virus sends emails with the name of the companies and people you often interact with. Avoid clicking on random links or attachments.
Share this piece of information with as many people as you can and save them from becoming a victim of WannaCry Ransomware.