Topyaps Logo

Topyaps Logo Topyaps Logo Topyaps Logo Topyaps Logo

Topyaps menu

Responsive image

This Is Why Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra Made ‘Fanney Khan’, And It’s Totally Praiseworthy

Published on 25 July, 2018 at 6:53 pm By

Celebrated filmmaker Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra is known for making films that do not only entertain, but also give some sort of message and leave a lasting impression on viewers’ mind. His forthcoming offering as a producer is Fanney Khan, and by the looks of it, the movie seems filled with all those features Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra’s films are known to have in plenty.

Boasting of an electric ensemble cast, which includes the likes of Anil Kapoor, Divya Dutta, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, Rajkummar Rao and debutante Pihu Sand, Fanney Khan revolves around an over-sized girl’s dream of becoming a popular singer and how her poor father helps her fulfill her most coveted dream.


Advertisement

 

 

A filmmaker makes a film for various reasons. While some make movies because of high commerce it involves, others make them because they want to tell something through their craft. Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra also has a reason why he chose to make Fanney Khan. And the reason is quite honest and bold. In his own words:

“I feel that our country is going through a phase where we judge our girls very, very harshly. The moment she wakes up, she is under a scanner. Her own mother is judging her. At times, it feels like that she is being judged even when she goes to sleep. The way our collective social consciousness is that we have defined beauty in a certain way and our icons are selling those beauty standards – like you have to look a certain way, you cannot be overweight and all. Forget about these, there are hundreds of criteria to judge a girl.”

 

 

Besides dealing with a vortex of emotions, dreams, passions, and ambitions, Fanney Khan also deals with the issue of body-shaming, something which has become almost commonplace in this age and time. Mehra reveals that besides judging girls, it was also the astounding figures of body-shaming which inspired him to make this movie.

“When I started researching the subject, read about it on Google and in newspapers, I came to an astonishing figure that over 92% girls around the world are subject to body-shaming. 92% of girls? Are you understanding what I am trying to say? It means almost every girl. I believe the remaining 8% of girls, at some point in time, have also been judged. And for what? For somebody else’s perception of you.”


Advertisement

 



 

Fanney Khan is an official remake of the Belgium movie, Everybody’s Famous (2000), which won a nomination for Best Foreign Language Film at the 73rd Academy Awards. When Mehra saw the film for the first time, he fell in love with it and decided to adapt it for Indian audiences.

 

 

However, when he approached the director of the original film, Dominique Deruddere, and expressed his desire to buy the remake rights, he met with a rejection. But Mehra was determined. He showed Dominique Deruddere his production house’s previous work and convinced him to sell rights.

“It was a very poignant film for me to retell, and I spoke to the director (of the original film) and told him why the reason I wanted to remake it. Then we showed him some of the films our production house released to ensure that as a production house we are very conscious about social issues. We are very conscious about entertainment also.”

 

In case you have missed the trailer of the movie, watch it here:

 


Advertisement

Directed by debutant Atul Manjrekar, Fanney Khan arrives on 3rd August.

Advertisement

Latest Stories

Superstar Rajinikath’s Super Cop Movie Darbar Leaked Online by Tamirockers

Superstar Rajinikath’s Super Cop Movie Darbar Leaked Online by Tamirockers


Akshay Kumar’s Latest Movie Good Newwz Leaked By Tamilrockers After Its Release

Akshay Kumar’s Latest Movie Good Newwz Leaked By Tamilrockers After Its Release


Salman Khan Starrer ‘Dabangg 3’ Leaked Online By Tamilrockers

Salman Khan Starrer ‘Dabangg 3’ Leaked Online By Tamilrockers


Bollywood Reacts on Twitter on Anti CAA Protests Across Nation

Bollywood Reacts on Twitter on Anti CAA Protests Across Nation


Jumanji: The Next Level Movie Leaked Online By Tamilrockers

Jumanji: The Next Level Movie Leaked Online By Tamilrockers


Advertisement

Most Searched

More From Entertainment

Popular on The Web