President Pranab Mukherjee will leave office today, paving way for the new President, Ram Nath Kovind. Even though Mukherjee will usher in the new 14th President of India, Mukherjee’s tenure has been a great one. He will always be remembered for bringing in some much-needed changes.
Here are 11 things that Pranab Mukherjee did as the President of India:
1. Mukherjee democratized the presidency by letting go of the title “His Excellency” and asked the Governors to do the same.
Pranab Mukherjee Meri News
2. Mukherjee promulgated or re-promulgated 31 ordinances during his tenure. He also rejected 30 mercy petitions and commuted only four.
Mukherjee Singing Hindu Business Line
3. He taught 80 students of Rajendra Prasad Sarvodaya Vidyalaya on the President’s Estate, becoming the first President ever to do so.
Teaching political science Firstpost
4. On July 1, 2014, he launched the Twitter account of Rashtrapati Bhawan to connect to the people directly.
Official twitter account DNA
5. With an aim to develop humane and hi-tech townships, Mukherjee launched the Smartgram initiative.
At the launch Smartgram
6. Rashtrapati Bhavan, Mughal Gardens and Rashtrapati Bhavan Museum were made open to public to encourage tourism.
Mughal Gardens Hoho delhi bus
7. Rooftop solar power panels with a capacity of approximately 508 KW were installed on the President’s Estate to promote green energy.
Rooftop solar panels Daily Hunt
8. Mukherjee started the “In-residence Program” where creative and innovative people were invited to stay at the Rashtrapati Bhawan. This program aimed at greater participation of the President’s office in the lives of citizens.
President with 3rd batch of innovators and writers Ground Report
9. President Pranab Mukherjee used the State Landau, or Buggy, after a gap of 30 years to highlight the role of the Rashtrapati Bhawan as a witness to India’s modern history and its tag as a heritage building.
Buggy Indian Express
10. He opened the “Pranab Mukherjee Library” in a renovated building on the Estate. The library will provide numerous books and resources to the Estate’s residents.
President at the library Odisha 360
11. President Mukherjee took big steps to introduce e-governance at the Rashtrapati Bhawan. Projects like “e-Pustakalaya”, “e-Granthalaya”, Digital Photo Library and E-Management of Visitors System were started.
As the new President takes over the office tomorrow, we are sure that the projects started by President Pranab Mukherjee will continue and will bring in an era of good governance.