Usually, when we say goodbye to somebody, especially to our loved ones, we’re pretty sure that we’re going to see or meet them again, and soon. However, there are many in the world, especially soldiers, who have no idea if they will ever come back and be reunited with their loved ones. And sadly, many don’t. For soldiers, any goodbye could be the last time, and they may even never get the chance to see each again.
Here are 20 heart-warming photos of love during wartime that will surely make you start loving your loved ones as if it were your last day.
1. A woman throws herself over the railing to kiss a British soldier who is returning from World War II. London, 1940.
2. A US soldier giving a sweet goodbye kiss to his girlfriend before departing by train, 1922.
3. A US soldier giving a last goodbye kiss before departing for the Korean War. Los Angeles, September 6, 1950.
4. A goodbye meet at the train station before departing for World War II.
5. American soldiers on a ship saying their last goodbyes before deployment to Egypt, 1963.
6. A sailor leans over a picket fence and lifts his girlfriend up for a last goodbye kiss, 1945.
7. This iconic photo of a sailor kissing a nurse at New York’s Time Square symbolizes the end of World War II, 1945.
8. A US soldier lifting a woman in embrace and kissing at the train station. Connecticut, 1945.
9. Soldiers lean out of their windows to kiss their loved ones goodbye before departing for Egypt, 1935.
10. English soldiers getting ready to go to Egypt saying goodbye to their wives, 1937.
11. A couple saying farewell to departing US soldiers at New York’s Penn Station, April 1943.
12. Emotional farewell to departing troops at New York’s Penn Station, April 1943.
13. An American soldier and his English girlfriend in Hyde Park, 1945.
14. An English ATS (Auxiliary Territorial Service) and Eight Air Force Sergeant enjoying a blissful kiss, 1945.
15. Saying farewell to departing troops at New York’s Penn Station, April 1943.
16. Jean Moore kneels and kisses her fiancé, wheelchair-bound WWII veteran Ralph Neppel, 1945.
17. A British soldier, before leaving for the front, whispers into the ear of a loved one, 1939.
18. A woman jumps up to hug a soldier as he comes home from war, 1940s.
19. A woman on roller skates taking a stroll with her soldier honey, 1940s.
20. Coffee served on the porch of the Ante-Bellum mansion, at a party for cadets from the local Army Flying School. Mississippi, USA, 1943.