The NTPC Ltd has been serving our country since 1975. As it marks the 30th year of its operations, we take a look at some facts about India’s biggest power generator.
1. NTPC Limited is India’s biggest power generator with over 31,000 MW capacity.
2. The PSU was ranked 424 in Forbes Global 2000 in 2014.
3. The NTPC is one of the seven PSUs to have been granted the elite Maharatna status.
4. It was founded in 1975 as a private limited company National Thermal Power Corporation Pvt. Ltd but removed the word ‘Private’ from its name next year.
5. D.V. Kapoor was its first Chairman and M.D. The current chairman and M.D. is Arup Roy Choudhury.
6. In 1976, NTPC’s authorized share capital was Rs.125 crore. It is Rs.10,000 crore today.
7. By 1985, NTPC had achieved a power generation capacity of 2000 MW.
8. NTPC generates more power than its capacity by operating its power plants at higher efficiency levels.
9. The National Thermal Power Corporation adopted its acronym as its official name in October 2005 when it entered into new ventures of hydro- and nuclear-based power generation.
10. In 1986, NTPC became one of the first PSUs to raise Rs.163.37 crore through its maiden public issue of bonds.
The issue was over-subscribed by 63 per cent.
11. The current logo of the NTPC was adopted in 1995 to mark the PSUs 20th year of operations.