It’s not an obligation to celebrate your birthday. You can have a bash on the day you were born but then, you can do it on any other day too. Is that not so?
Let’s take a look at some pretty convincing reasons why birthdays shouldn’t be celebrated.
1. Birthdays mean you have to go on saying ‘Thank You’ all day long
Dozens of WhatsApp messages, phone calls, personal wishes and countless Facebook wall posts to respond with a ‘thank you.’ Gosh!
2. I have to smile all day, even if I hate faking it
3. It means I will get gifts and be forced to think of a return gift
4. When I will go out for dinner, the whole restaurant will look at me the moment waiters start singing the birthday song
5. And if I am accompanied by relatives I don’t like much, they might embarrass me more by asking for a free meal or a big discount
6. I will be forced to eat cake and there goes my diet, out of the window
7. My cell phone will ring all day and I will have to pick up each and every call
8. I will be expected to treat my coworkers or friends with free pizza
9. Our spouses will be forced to rake up their brains for gift ideas
Only to end up giving gifts we feel stuck up with.
10. I would have to think of new ways to answer – ‘How old are you‘
11. Our young kids would want to give us gifts. And we would be paying
12. Some nasty friend will not be able to resist the urge to say “You look young for your age”.
13. Come to think of it, we torture ourselves with the same routine every year
Dining out and getting drunk. Yes there are other ways of celebrating too, but do you want to handle that pressure?
14. I can save a small fortune by skipping the celebrations. Instead, buy a good gift for yourself
Believe me your friends will be relieved too.
15. I have just completed one more revolution around the sun. So what?
16. If your birthday is important to you, it is to me too. But I free you of any obligation to acknowledge mine. Promise.
Why celebrate if you know a birthday means you are just nearing the final destination on earth! Silly.