Upsetting thousands of ‘House of Cards’ fans across the globe, Netflix abruptly pulled down its flagship television series from going on air. This decision came just a day after news about its star, Kevin Spacey, having a history of assaulting a 14-year-old boy broke out. Television and internet audiences were shocked about the scandal involving the star. The sexual assault is said to have taken place when the ‘House of Cards’ superstar was 26 years. He had allegedly assaulted Anthony Rapp, another actor, who was then just 14 years old.
Multiple sources though claimed that the decision to end the award-winning Netflix TV series was taken prior to the sexual abuse allegations spread over the internet but the scandal, nevertheless, did help to abruptly scrap the program.
In an interview with The Daily Telegraph, a Netflix spokesperson said:
Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey…In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.
Making amends, Spacey admitted in an apology letter to Rapp that he was gay during that time, but went onto say that he couldn’t remember that 1986 incident but was definitely “horrified” by the story.
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
According to Rapp, Spacey had invited him to his house party in New York. Since he was the only teenager in attendance, he was quite bored after some time, which is why he went to watch television. Rapp, then, claimed Spacey found him, picked him up, placed him on his bed before climbing on top of him.
Rapp told Netflix:
He was trying to seduce me. I don’t know if I would have used that language. But I was aware that he was trying to get with me sexually.
‘House of Cards’ is the first original drama production by Netflix, which has created a huge demand for on-demand television with high value productions that even feature an Oscar-winning cast.
On the other hand, the creator of the Netflix series released a statement supporting Rapp. Beau Willimon said:
Anthony Rapp’s story is deeply troubling. During the time I worked with Kevin Spacey on House of Cards, I neither witnessed nor was aware of any inappropriate behavior on set or off…That said, I take reports of such behavior seriously and this is no exception. I feel for Mr Rapp and I support his courage.
Although Kevin Spacey apologized for the alleged crime, his way of apologizing failed to convince most. Many people even shouted their displeasure directly on Twitter:
What do you think about Spacey’s crime? Do you think an apology letter on Twitter can condone his sexual misconduct? Please do share your views in the comments section below.