In a freak accident on Tuesday, India lost its National-level wrestling champion, Vishal Kumar Verma. The accident took place inside the Jaipal Singh Stadium in Ranchi, which is also the site for the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association (JSWA).
According to reports, the cause of the fatal accident of the 25-year-old budding wrestler was electrocution, caused by a short-circuit at the dilapidated building. It is to be noted here that the entire stadium was completely flooded as a result of incessant rainfall for the past few days. In fact, built not long ago in 1978, the stadium has been flooded since the beginning of the monsoon itself, and the condition just worsened in the past few days due to torrential rainfall.
Commemorating Vishal’s expertise in wrestling, the general secretary and coach of the Jharkhand State Wrestling Association, Bholanath Singh said:
Vishal had stood fourth in the last senior national wrestling championship.
The unfortunate accident sent the entire sports community in Jharkhand in utter shock.
Talking about this fatal accident, the officer-in-charge of the Kotwali police station, Shyamanand Mandal said:
Preliminary investigation has revealed that death was due to electrocution. Vishal was using a water pump to clear out the water when the incident took place. Faulty wiring seems to be main cause for this incident.
Talking about this shameful accident to the Times of India, the general manager of Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam (JBVN), Ganesh Jha said:
An executive engineer visited the site and reported that there is no fault in the power connection provided by JBVNL. However, there could be a loose connection in the building’s internal electrical wiring.