The 87th Academy Awards promises to attract the attention of most cine goers in India. India has sent Liar’s Dice as India’s Official Entry for the Best Foreign Language Film for the 2015. You might not have heard of the movie, and it sure promises to be an interesting one. The movie has Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Geetanjali Thapa in the main lead. Even after so many decades,parallel cinema and low budget movies never get their due recognition and applause in India. Let’s hope that Liar’s Dice, can break that jinx and also bring home an Oscar. Read on more about this unusual movie and wish it luck for the Oscars.
1. Liar’s Dice was awarded National Award for the best cinematography by Rajeev Rai.
2. Geetanjali Thapa was honored with the best actress award for the movie in the 61st National Film awards.
3. The story revolves around a strong headed and beautiful woman, who lives in a small, little known village on the Indo Tibet border. She is from a tribal community.
4. She lives a normal life of a village person and has a small daughter.
5. Her husband is a daily wage laborer who works in Delhi at a construction site.
6. The movie is a reflection of the state of migrant workers in metropolitan cities.
7. After she loses contact with her husband for five months she decided to go looking for him, on her own.
8. Their small daughter insists on taking her pet goat with her too.
9. On this journey she meets an army fugitive or deserter, who decided to help her on her mission.
10. The movie promises to be poetic, and dramatic, with being on the road as its central theme.
11. Nawazuddin Siddiqui is one of the most talented actors in Bollywood. He performs unconventional roles with so much ease that every performance leaves us greedy for more.
12. The balance of drama and reality is so powerful that it keeps you gritted till the last frame.
13. The direction is very sophisticated and the back drops breathtaking. The captivating drama is well played out with no dull moments.
14. Geetu Mohan Das is a well-known name in South India and has a number of main stream and art movies under her belt.
15. She was first noticed by a short film that she had directed called – ‘Are you listening?’ in Rotterdam in 2010.
16. She has a knack of interpreting children fantasies in meaningful dramas and animation.
17. In ‘Liar’s Dice, the child is portrayed as a catalyst that marks the start of the drama.
18. The opening shots are so captivating that the viewer immediately gets hooked.
19. The suspense and the drama leaves nothing predictable in this movie.
20. The trio look very convincing and perfect for the part, well supported by the excellent photography.
21. There is nothing obvious in this movie and no emotion is ever played over board.
22. Geetu is an excellent filmmaker, with excellent taste in eloquence. India should get ready to welcome this filmmaker with exceptional talent.
23. The uncertainty of the trio and the weird relationship between the man and the woman, make the movie feel very real.
24. Fans of Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukherjee and Alia Bhatt will be furious to know that Liar’s Dice was chosen over Mary Kom, Shahid and Mardaani, 2 States as India’s official entry.
We wish Liar’s Dice all the best.