Mother Dairy is one of India’s best known producers of milk and milk products. Although they are more popular in Delhi-NCR, it has been successful in launching unique brands such as Safal and Dhara.
1. In 1974, the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) commissioned Mother Dairy as its wholly owned subsidiary.
2. Mother Dairy was formed as an initiative under Operation Flood.
Operation Flood the world’s biggest dairy development program launched to make India a milk sufficient nation.
3. Mother Dairy manufactures, markets & sells milk and milk products under its eponymous brand.
Ice creams and paneer too are manufactured and sold.
4. There are over 1200 exclusive milk and dairy shops selling Mother Dairy products.
5. Mother Dairy was the first Company to organize the fruits and vegetables business in India in 1988 under a brand known as Safal.
Edible oils, fruits and vegetables are also sold by Mother Dairy under its Safal brand.
6. Safal’s turnover is now Rs. 550 crore and has been growing steadily at around 10 per cent annually.
7. Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt. Ltd, is a USD 1 billion (1000 million) company.
8. Safal is the first brand in India to launch frozen vegetables in mid 90s.
9. Today, Safal has over 350 outlets in and around Delhi.
10. Safal also has a state of the art plant in Bangalore producing around 23000 MT of aseptic fruit pulp and concentrate annually.
The clients of this produce are Coca Cola, Pepsi, Unilever, Nestle etc.
11. Safal also has a prominent presence across 40 countries of the world.
12. Over 200 farmers’ associations with a membership of 8,000 farmers in 14 states are linked to Safal.
13. Mother Dairy holds the largest share of the market in Delhi/NCR.
14. It also has operations in other parts of the country, particularly Mumbai.
15. A part of revenues is invested back into the value chain (farmers) to support and maintain the system.
16. Mother Dairy is an ISO 9001:2008 (QMS), ISO 22000:2005 (FSMS) and ISO 14001:2004 (EMS) certified organization.
They also have Kosher and Halal certification.
17. The famous edible ‘Dhara’ is a Mother Dairy brand.
Remember this ad?
18. Mother Dairy has been recognized as a Great Place to Work by Great Place to Work Institute.
19. Mother Dairy milk passes through 15 stringent quality checks before it is packed.
20. The aim of Mother Dairy in reaching out to newer areas is not to expand its market but to ensure there is an established brand to take care of surplus milk.
21. Mother Dairy is the unchallenged market leader in Delhi area.
22. The most praiseworthy thing about Mother Dairy is that in spite of such an extensive and successful network, profit maximization is not its objective.