The title of Miss India is a coveted one. Every year, thousands of girls from all walks of life and from towns big and small, fight the battle of beauty and brains to become Miss India.
From its onset, the title has had its share of controversies. The winners perceive this title as a launching pad to make a name for themselves in the world of glamour and fame. But, lady luck does not shine on all. Some of the winners have managed to become successful and others have gone into oblivion. Forgotten and lost.
So, here is a photo compilation of Miss India title winners, in a ‘then and now’ style.
1. Dia Mirza — Drop Dead Gorgeous, But Had Poor Luck in Bollywood
A string of flops made her bow out of the industry. Call it change of heart or poor luck in films, Dia has now shifted focus to charity work.
She got married in 2014.
2. Celina Jaitley — Had Looks that Could Kill, But Sadly No Acting Genes
After doing bit sized roles, she finally decided to get married to an hotelier. She is a proud mommy of twins now.
3. Yukta Mookhey — Could Never Really Decide on What to Do After Winning the Crown
A movie here and a movie there; she was forgotten in no time. She is 5.9 ft tall and that’s what we remember about her the most. Last time she was in news – she was tying the knot.
4. Diana Hayden — Short stay in the Tinsel Town
She was last seen in a brief stint in Big Boss. She was also the only Miss World contestant to score a hat-trick at the Miss World contest in 1997- Miss Photogenic, Miss Beachwear and Miss World.
5. Namrata Shirodkar — Stellar Looks Of the Shirodkar Clan, But Lacked In the Acting Department
The pretty girl vanished from the glamour scene after Pukar (Hindi movie). She is now happily married to Telugu superstar Mahesh Babu.
6. Tanushree Dutta — Thrown Off the Bandwagon without a Warning
Despite a launch with Emraan Hashmi, the audiences chose to ignore her. Last she was seen trying her luck at Bengali movies.
7. Neha Dhupia — Mostly Remembered For Her Obnoxiously Abnormal Backside
Despite several attempts at mainstream cinema, this Miss India winner failed to secure a position for herself. She is now trying to make a career for herself in parallel cinema.
8. Madhu Sapre — Once the Most Wanted Super Model
Her marriage to Milind Soman made them the sexiest couple in the country. Alas, the love was soon lost. She is now married to Gian, an ice cream tycoon.
9. Sushmita Sen — Vagabond At Heart
The lady has, till date, failed to decide on what she wants from life. A series of failed romances appears to be her only achievement. But a beautiful thing about her is that she is bringing up her two young daughters, whom she had adopted, as a proud single mom.
10. Lara Dutta — The Only Other Winner besides Sushmita Sen to Win the Title of Miss Universe
She is a successful actress, producer and wife to tennis start Mahesh Bhupathi. She has just recently become a mother to a baby girl.
11. Priyanka Chopra — No Miss World Titles for Indian Beauties after Her
PC can easily be called one of the most successful Miss India winners till date. She has craved out a space for herself both in the domestic and international entertainment industry. Priyanka is one of the most powerful actresses in Bollywood.
And just in case you were wondering why Aishwarya Rai is not here in this list, let us clarify that till 1994 (when she and Sushmita became Miss India – Universe and Miss India – World, respectively), Femina Miss India recognized only Miss India – Universe as the winner – a system that was discontinued after Ash’s famous win at the Miss World contest that same year. For you, here is Aishwarya: