The Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) has given the green signal to try the teenager accused of running over 32-year-old Siddharth Sharma as an adult.
It is the first such decision after the amendment in the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015, which allows the Board to transfer cases of heinous offences by children to Sessions court.
The JJB said that the accused is in no manner lacking in mental and physical capacity to commit the alleged offence and that the offence allegedly committed by him was “heinous”.
The board said that the accused understood clearly the consequences of the offence. The board had earlier rejected his bail plea.
This means that if found guilty by a trial court, the accused teenager can be given the same kind of punishment reserved for adults in similar cases.
Sharma, a marketing executive, was killed by a speeding Mercedes driven by the teenager.
Delhi Police had requested to try the accused as an adult. The teenager turned major just four days after the April 4 incident.
On May 26 the Police filed a charge sheet of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against teenager, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail.
Other section under which the boy was booked are 279 (driving on a public way so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) and 337 (causing hurt by an act which endangers human life) against him.
Police had said in its charge sheet that the boy had fatally run over victim Siddharth Sharma with his father’s Mercedes when Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in north Delhi on April 4.
CCTV footage that went viral after the incident shows the car hitting Sharma at a high speed. Sharma’s body is seen flying out of the view of the camera.
Police said he landed around 15 metres away from where he was hit. The boy was accompanied by his friends. All of them fled from the scene of the crime, according to the police.
It was later learned that the teenager was penalized previously for traffic violations.