The Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) has given the green signal to try the teenager accused of running over 32-year-old Siddharth Sharma as an adult.
Siddharth Sharma was just 32 when a speeding Mercedes driven by an underage driver killed him.
The JJB said that the accused is in no manner lacking in mental and physical capacity to commit the alleged offence and that the offence allegedly committed by him was “heinous”.
The board said that the accused understood clearly the consequences of the offence. The board had earlier rejected his bail plea.
Sharma, a marketing executive, was killed by a speeding Mercedes driven by the teenager.
On May 26 the Police filed a charge sheet of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against teenager, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail.
Police had said in its charge sheet that the boy had fatally run over victim Siddharth Sharma with his father’s Mercedes when Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in north Delhi on April 4.
CCTV footage that went viral after the incident shows the car hitting Sharma at a high speed. Sharma’s body is seen flying out of the view of the camera.
Police said he landed around 15 metres away from where he was hit. The boy was accompanied by his friends. All of them fled from the scene of the crime, according to the police.
It was later learned that the teenager was penalized previously for traffic violations.