Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has asked the Army to provide Lt Col Prasad Purohit with all the documents he has sought to prove his innocence in the Malegaon blasts case.
“Except for words of people and names of countries, whatever document he wants, except when directly it impacts security of the nation or it involves names of some other officers, that can be blacked out, the info has to be given to him,” he said.
“One should help in claiming his innocence,” Parrikar observed.
The defence minister maintained that the matter was in court and he cannot decide on the merit of the case.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) had earlier said that Lieutenant Colonel Purohit was never an accused in the Samjhauta blast case, adding there is no proof against him. The case is to unravel a criminal conspiracy behind the bomb blasts in the Attari Express (Samjhauta) train near Panipat, Haryana, on February 18, 2007. 68 people were killed in the blast and the consequent fire.
Purohit had earlier this month written to Parrikar requesting restoration of his honour by way of rank. In November 2015, he had written to him requesting for copies of the Court of Inquiry against him by the Army. He finally got copies of the CoIonel’s proceedings following court’s intervention.
In his letter dated April 4, he claimed he has been falsely implicated in the case and has been behind the bars for more than seven years now.
“I have been robbed of honour, dignity and rank and punished for serving the nation,” Purohit said.
Purohit claimed he had infiltrated groups like SIMI and Naxals as a military intelligence operative and added that he had shared every detail of his operations with his seniors.
Lieutenant Colonel Purohit is also an accused in the bombing in Malegaon area of Maharashtra on September 29, 2008. Four people were killed while several others injured in the Malegaon blast. The probe was initially conducted by the Maharashtra ATS and later handed over to the NIA.