Kanu Gandhi worked as Mahatma Gandhi’s secretary and was one of his descendants. He took more than 2,000 photographs of Mahatma Gandhi, many of which were kept away for many years.
1. Kanu Gandhi was the only one who could capture rare moments of Mahatma Gandhi but was sometime stopped by Mahatma Gandhi himself.
2. Nazar Foundation preserved around 92 of these photographs and saved them as monographs.
3. Kanu Gandhi, at the age of 20, was sent to Sewagram by his parents to help Mahatma Gandhi.
4. Though, Kanu Gandhi was interested in medical studies but he later developed an interest in photography and took a lot of candid shots of Mahatma Gandhi.
5. Kanu Gandhi used to be with Mahatma Gandhi almost all the time. Hence, he traveled a lot with him around the globe.
6. The last few days of Mahatma Gandhi’s life went very crucial and he experienced many emotions altogether.
7. Kanu succeeded in capturing all those important moments of Gandhi’s life.
8. Kasturba Gandhi lying on a bed at Aga Khan Palace in Pune in 1944.
9. Two legendary figures of the time of Independence in one frame.
10. Mahatma Gandhi and Rabindranath Tagore in some serious conversation.
11. Mahatma Gandhi traveled for around three months by train and collected funds for backward class in in 1945-46.
12. One of such moment was when Kasturba Gandhi was lying dead in Mahatma Gandhi’s lap and he said with great grief that after 60 years of togetherness he just can’t imagine his life without her.