Coco Chanel once said, ‘Modesty is the highest elegance’, and there are many who live by this rule. Living legend Rahul Dravid is one of them. He is so humble and polite that sometimes it’s hard for people to believe that a celebrity like him can be so simple and selfless. While other celebrities enjoy their VIP status, Rahul never tries to take advantage of the fact he is one the most famous cricketers of the country.
His everyday acts like standing in a queue and using public transport for travelling tells us how down to earth he is. Here are some incidents that prove we are not exaggerating about his modesty and humility.
1. He stood in a queue with his kids for entry in a science exhibition. He could have gotten a VIP entry if he cared to ask, but instead, he chose to wait for his turn.
2. When he couldn’t get time to meet a terminally-ill fan due to his busy schedule, he skyped him and apologized for not being able to make it in person. He then spoke to him for almost an hour.
3. When a university offered him an honorary degree, he turned down their offer because he felt that he should ‘earn it’.
4. He once was spotted travelling in economy class like a commoner. When a crowd gathered around him for autographs, he politely told them to step aside and make way for other passengers. He later gave autographs to everyone and took pictures with them.
5. A user of Quora – question-and-answer site described his meeting with Dravid. He wrote:
“Dravid shook my hand and said, ‘Hi, I am Rahul, nice to meet you’. I could not reply, the man whom entire India and the cricket world knows and adores, still introduced himself just like anyone else does.”
6. Despite owning many luxury cars, Dravid is usually seen travelling via public transport in Bengaluru.
7. Once Dravid visited a busy cafe. Seeing that all waiters are occupied, he himself went to the counter, placed his order, paid for it and returned to his seat.
8. When he was offered to mentor visually challenged cricketers, he gave a very touching reply. He said:
“What these blind cricketers do is much bigger than I could do. In fact, I think it’s me who will require some mentoring from the visually challenged cricketers.”
9. He joined GoSports foundation for supporting Paralympians and Olympians.
10. A day after the sad demise of his father, Rahul still met the fans at his house because they have travelled a long distance to meet him. He also took pictures with them.
All we can say is that Dravid is indeed a wall, made up of humility and kindness.