MoS Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha earned the respect of thousands of social media users by letting an unwell woman and her daughter have his extra space seat on an Indigo flight. With that act, he set an example for all politicians of the country. But how much do you know him? Here is a quick look at the background of this politician who proved himself as brilliant mind in the world of economics before answering the call of the ballot.
1. Sinha is one of the most educated men in Modi Cabinet
He is a B.Tech from IIT-Delhi, an MS in Energy Management & Policy from University of Pennsylvania and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He earned distinctions in both B.Tech and MBA.
2. He was previously the MoS Finance, a department his father once headed.
Jayant Sinha’s father, Yashwant Sinha, was the Minister of Finance under the previous NDA rule before taking over as EAM. This makes it one of the rarest occasions that a father-son duo handled the same portfolio.
3. During his father’s tenure as FM, Jayant Sinha gave his inputs on some key initiatives.
One of those was the Saral form for filing Income Tax returns.
4. Jayant Sinha built an enviable resume before joining politics.
He worked for around 25 years in investment and global IT services practice at Omidyar Network and McKinsey & Company, respectively. He was also the president of a venture capital firm and served in consulting positions at Stone & Webster and Synergic Resources Corporation.
5. He was a political novice when he contested from Hazaribagh.
And yet Jayant Sinha prevailed like a lord over his nearest rival in the 2014 General Elections.
6. One of his inputs during his father’s tenure sparked the real estate boom in India.
It was Jayant Sinha’s idea to offer a tax deduction for interest on mortgages.
7. Jayant Sinha was one of the earliest advocates for Unique Identification Number (UID).
8. Sinha’s wife, Punita Kumari Sinha, is an IIT-Delhi graduate, too.
In fact the two met at the IIT and married in 1986. The couple have two sons.
9. Under Jayant’s leadership, Omidyar Network grew in size.
Sinha remained the Managing Director of Omidyar Network till 2013 by which time they had expanded their roots in India.
10. He is a well-known commentator on business and economic policy.
Jayant Sinha has written for several major publications, including the Harvard Business Review and the Financial Times, on business and economic policies.
11. He started his political career as MoS Finance in the Modi Cabinet.
As MoS Finance, Sinha introduced important bills such as Insurance Bill, Bankruptcy Bill, and Regional Rural Banks Bill.