The world is mourning the death of the legendary actress Sridevi. Her death left an insatiable void in Indian film industry. The 54-year-old actress died from a cardiac arrest in Dubai on 24 February 2018, after attending the marriage of her husband’s nephew, Mohit Marwah. Sridevi was known to play versatile characters throughout her career and she acted in more than 200 movies.
Here we are listing 10 facts about Sridevi’s life that every fan of hers must know.
1. Sridevi was born on 13 August 1963 in Sivakasi, Tamilnadu. Her birth name is Shree Amma Yanger Ayyapan.
2. Sridevi started to work in movies when she was only 4 years old. After working as a child artist for few years, she got a lead role in 1976 film, Moondru Mudichu opposite Rajnikanth.
3. Sridevi was paid more than Rajinikanth for Moondru Mudichu. While Sridevi was paid Rs 5000, Rajinikanth was paid Rs 2000 only.
4. Sridevi made her Bollywood debut in 1979 with the hit film Solva Savan. She rose to popularity after the mega success of 1983 film, Himmatwala.
5. Her 1983 movie Sadma with actor Kamal Hassan is considered as one of her best work.
6. When Sridevi first started to act in Bollywood movies, she wasn’t able to speak Hindi fluently. Most of her films were voiced by actress Kumari Naaz. In 1983 film Aakhiri Rasta, Rekha did the voice over for Sridevi. She started to dub her own films with 1989 movie, Chandni.
7. The film Nagina was first offered to Jaya Prada and Chandni was first offered to Rekha. Both of them denied the movies and the movies went to Sridevi. Both movies turn out to be mega-blockbusters.
8. Sridevi also worked as a playback singer. She gave her voice in the songs of Sadma and Chandni.
9. Sridevi was suffering from a high fever (103 degrees) when she shot for the hit song Na Jaane Kahan Se Aayi Hai from the movie ChaalBaaz.