Kolkata may not be in the same league as the other contemporary “progressive” Indian cities, but there is an innate charm about it — it never ceases to leave a lasting mark on your heart.
If you’ve once been a part of this city, you would never want to part away with the memories it gave you.
Here are some signs that you are truly in love with the City of Joy:
1. Princep Ghat, Boating at Outram Ghat and Paw Bhajis – is how friendships flourish in Kolkata
Your idea of a perfect friends’ get-together would revolve around sitting at Princep Ghat, hop onto the boats at Outram ghat, and relish Paw Bhajis at the same place!
2. Your shopping is incomplete without few bargaining sessions at flee stores
No matter how much you love your Michael Kors bag, that great pair of Gucci ballerinas or that Dior LBD; if you’re a true Calcuttan at heart, your shopping-day-out won’t just be complete without bargaining at the flee stores in the Hogg’s Market or New Market!
3. Kolkata Film Festival holds a special place in your heart
No matter how much you love the masala Bollywood films, you can never miss out on the Kolkata Film Festival and the Cine Central Film Festival.
4. We are still sentimental about our Ghoti or Bangal Lineage
We are bunch of nostalgic people. Partition is a grand old story but we are still proud of ‘our’ Ghoti and Bangal lineages.
And you know, we still choose our favorite football team and our favorite fish based on this!
5. Coffee House is still our favorite hangout for intellectual talks
It does not matter how many Café Coffee Days, Baristas, Irish Houses, Smoke House Delis and the likes open across the city.
For us, nothing can beat the grand adda session at the Coffee House! Yea; the food isn’t as good as it used to be—but so what?!
6. Mishti Doi. Anyone who says its Overrated is an enemy.
You’re proud of your sweet tooth, and no matter how many great chocolates and cupcakes you have in front of you, you always long for that chocolate mishti from Girish Chandra Dey and Nakur Chandra Das and that big bowl of Mishti Doi.
And no, Mishti doi is not overrated. You can kill anyone who says this
7. We Are the Biggest Fish Lovers in the World
No matter how grand a restaurant it is, your platter remains incomplete without a delicious fish item!
8. You stand by the gospel truth – ‘There’s A Rabindranath for Every Mood’
9. You have an undeniable Love for Monuments and Old Structures
Posh areas, high rises, crowded colonies or outskirts – it doesn’t matter where you live in the City of Joy. You have an undying love for the old buildings and monuments.
10. Colors, Culture and Rabindra Sadan Academy Of Fine Arts — your favorite winter time pass
Come winter, and the Rabindra Sadan Academy of Fine Arts campus is the most happening of all places in the City of Joy! The colorful-cultural-festivals that adorn this campus for the whole of winter are one of the best gifts to the Calcuttans ever. You know this for sure!
11. We don’t mind being in crazy crowds during Durga Puja no matter how reclusive we maybe in our regular lives
You may hate crowd. That’s okay.
But when it’s Durga Puja time, you don’t mind waiting in queues to visit your favorite pandal, and dance mindlessly amidst innumerable other people right on the streets during visarjan!
12. You may actually go on a hunger strike if you find any atrocity on the street dogs and cats
13. Most people around you Love Academic Living. Collecting degrees is a Universal Hobby
No matter how many degrees you have, you always crave for more and more degrees. Somewhat a sad story, but true!
14. We will come back from any part of the world only to eat Kolkata’s street food and phuchka
You’ve been to the Parathe Wali Gali, to Juhu Beach and to numerous other street food hubs around the country. But, you cannot find a place better than the Decker’s Lane, any roll better than Kolkata’s kati rolls and any street food at par with Kolkata’s phuchka.