Anyone who visits Taiwan for the first time and has a sound knowledge of English would be taken aback by the fact that some of the signboards, when translated to English, sound weird. The basic reason is that they are often literally translated from Kanji. The translation, especially in the city of Taipei, can sometimes have some of the most amusing meanings and might make you wonder what the translators were thinking.
But one needs to understand that despite being one of the most educated cities in the world, when it comes to English, it is not the first language in Taiwan. It is almost the same in other East Asian countries where education is imparted in the native language.
So just for fun, here are 14 signs in Taipei that will make your day.
1. In case there is fire, jump from the window!
2. All you need to become a perfect wife!
3. In case curries decide to crusade, eat this.
4. Every girl’s dream…or nightmare.
5. Every pet has a special life, especially a cat.
6. For those who think they are currently less than perfect.
7. Just what every Mustard bottle needs to promise.
8. The department every office is missing.
(Sign reads: Foreign and Disabled Labour Office.)
9. Just what you need before the Valentine’s Day.
10. For fun?
11. Just the place you need to put your “Life Seeding” experience on display.
12. For people who are just ‘Class’ apart.
13. Just what every dog trainer needs.
14. In case you forgot just why you are eating food.
One must note that even though some of these signs are just hilarious, the Taiwanese are just trying to convey the meaning and nothing else. These signs, even though they make absolutely no sense, doesn’t reflect anything on Taiwan’s education or intelligence as they have a 97.8% literacy rate with 39% of the population holding degrees in higher education.
English is not their first language and they struggle to express themselves in a language which for them just doesn’t have enough words to convey a particular situation and/or emotion.
All images taken by: Anuradha Singh