Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary is celebrated on January 12. The day is also observed as National Youth Day. Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary is being celebrated as National Youth Day since 1984. Swami Vivekananda’s thought-provoking lectures, quotes and writings, have been a subject of study and a great source of motivation for the youth. Today is his 155th birth anniversary.
Swamiji was one of the tallest thinkers India ever had. Swami Vivekanand played an important role in introducing Indian philosophies of Yoga and Vedanta to the western world and after his 1893 speech at the World’s Parliament of Religions in Chicago, he was called the “Messenger of Indian wisdom to the western world”. He is seen as a major force in bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion in the late 19th century.
A lot has been written about him and it must be mentioned that after Lord Krishna and Buddha Swamiji is a legacy of Indian culture. He was a unique combination of our culture, religion as well as modernity. He established that Indian culture and religion is the mother of all thoughts of the universe. At the same time, he was lured by the scientific development of the west. He invited Indian youth to follow the suit of scientific development. He had deep belief that Indian cannot scale the heights until they move forward on the modern scientific path. Swamiji was deen in cultural nationalism that inspired many freedom fighters in the later stage.
Mahatma Gandhi, C R Das, Balgangadhar Tilak, Sardar Patel and many including Subhas Chandra Bose were immensely inspired by his cultural Nationalism. In my opinion, he sowed the seed of modern freedom movement. It should be mentioned that in a letter in 1899, to one of his Tamil friends, Swamiji had claimed that India will change completely in next fifty years. In next fifty years, India gained independence
Swami Vivekanand’s contribution to mankind in general and India, in particular, is imminence. We are fortunate that we born on this great soil. Swamijee was a deep believer in the vigorous strength of the youths. He termed Indian youth as the powerhouse of the Nation.
As Swamiji said, there are not only the bed of roses for youths, but their path is filled with throne as well. There is numerous opportunity as well as challenges, before them that they would have to face in the near future.
1) The unemployment is growing at a very fast rate and it’s close to 5%. The problem does not stop here, but the employment opportunity is synchronizing which further accelerated during 2017-18. Every year about two corers youth is added to the job market. The number of youths and the job opportunity are congruent to each other. This gap is going to be a threat.
2) Educational standards are progressively deteriorating. Several reports revealed that only a fraction of technically qualified youths is employable. During the last couple of years, there has been a mushroom growth of technical institutes without having required infrastructures. Qualities of general graduates are even not encouraging. The central and state government should put all efforts to change the scenario.
3) Artificial intelligence is a threat the new employment. There is a low job growth in manufacturing, mining, construction etc due to AI. The service sector, medical, IT sectors face the threat of jobs drain.
4) There is no encouraging expenditure by our government on research and development. As per UN’s list, India has been placed at 147th rank among 181 nations in terms of R&D.
5) Around 11 crores of our youth are addicted to smoking and other habits. Around 23 lakh youths are killed per year due to this.
7) While corruption paralyzed proper system, nepotism alienate the capable youths. We are one of the most corrupt nations. The root of corruption is the electoral system we have. But unfortunately, none of our political parties favor the corruption-free electoral system.
8) Sex crime has made the women workers very vulnerable. Delhi, the capital of India even is not safe. This is also a hurdle for our sisters to work freely.
9) Peoples are reluctant to talk about the demerits of the reservation system. India is the only country where an intelligent student is barred from a reputable educational institution or from a government job because he or she belongs to a particular caste. See the fun! The USA was nowhere up to 2nd world war on the globe. But after the war, within a few years, they became the most powerful country in the world. How? The answer is simple. They just gathered all the high intellectuals of different fields from among the globe by luring them with extraordinary facilities. This the reason that every year large numbers of brains migrate to the USA and other developed countries.
1) E-market has grown to 38 trillion in 2016 from 17 trillion in 2014. It is expected to reach 50 trillion in 2018. Around 4 lakh jobs are expected to be created in this field.
2) Startups are the new areas of self-employment, and the idea is vigorously pushed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. It has started to contribute to nation building. Digital India, Makes In India, Kaushal Vikash Yojana are some of the great ways to prepare our youths. A huge number of job opportunity would be generated under these schemes.
3) In the construction sector, there is a moderate growth forecast. This sector would provide jobs to highly skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled too.
4) Agriculture is in the dormant stage. There is an immense potential. Mostly traditional agriculture methods are adopted in our country particularly in Hindi speaking states. A scientific method of agriculture can flourish if educated youths are aligned with it.
5) IT is another sector for new job opportunities. As per one report, there will be 20% surge in job opportunity in this sector.
6) Automobiles and Banking have a great potentiality to generate new jobs.
So there are a number of opportunities for our youths. The only thing requires is hard work with patience that Swami Vivekanand always told. A good result needs time. Our youth will build up new India only if they believe in hard work with patience.