What if you come to know that you can also low down your health insurance premium significantly by following a healthy lifestyle?
Following a healthy regime is no longer a mere value addition; these days, it’s more of an essential offering. The tangible benefits you can get your hands upon include saving on premium as a reward for maintaining healthy lifestyle.
A healthy applicant means lesser claims to process which are a nice welcome for the insurance providers. Therefore, insurance companies are working on motivating people to lead a healthier life to help them attain affordable individual health insurance plans at lower premiums.
Nowadays, policyholders can earn discounts on premium amount anywhere between 8% and 30%, depending on the insurance provider they choose and the features of the policy.
It’s not a hidden fact that following a regular exercise routine, good diet and moderate drinking & non-smoking habits can easily help you prevent a lot of illnesses and medical conditions, including heart disease, some cancer types, etc.
Basic steps to maintain a healthy lifestyle
Below-enlisted is 6 simple rules that will not only help you live a healthy life but will also help you grab affordable life insurance premiums:
- Get going and get active. Do exercises for at least 150 minutes every week. You’ll not only feel better but will also increase the length and quality of your life.
- Healthy eating habits will help you maintain a healthy body weight ratio. Following a healthy diet is one of the most crucial things you should do to lower the risk of Type 2 diabetes & heart disease.
- It’s not a hidden fact that high cholesterol level can lead to plaque build-up in the arteries that eventually increases the risk of heart disease and stroke. Thus, maintaining it at a healthier level will actually help you in the long run.
- High blood pressure is another risk factor that’s responsible for stroke and heart disease. Managing your blood pressure in check and within a healthy range will reduce the strain on your arteries; kidneys and heart which will help you maintain a healthy and longer life.
- Your weight is also a crucial factor when it comes to calculating premiums for health insurance plans. Being overweight can lead to all sorts of illnesses such as stroke, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and put you at higher risk for heart attacks. Shedding a few pounds will not only improve your cholesterol level but will also let you save on your insurance premium.
- It’s no secret that smoking is bad for your health, but it’s also equally bad for your health insurance premium. An individual with smoking habits needs to pay more for their health insurance plans as compared to non-smoking individuals. Based on the insurance provider, almost every type of tobacco consumption affect (increase) the premium rate. Therefore, quitting smoking habits will not only improve your health but will also save money on premiums.
It’s understandable that maintaining a healthy lifestyle demands time & consistent efforts but countless rewards that go along with them make your efforts worthwhile. Saving money on health insurance premiums and living a healthier life are two of the most important benefits that you will enjoy the most.
What Can Happen if You Fail to Follow a Healthy Lifestyle?
In case you fail to maintain a healthy regime, you will be more at risk for illnesses, which further increases the chances of falling you ill and therefore leads to more medical treatments, doctor visits, and medication ultimately leading to higher healthcare costs.
Chronic illnesses, also known as lifestyle diseases lead to be a continued challenge on the already expensive healthcare system. Additionally, if you have an illness history, you may end up paying higher premiums as well as higher deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses.
Your medical history works as a credit report for the insurance companies which help them to analyze your past records before assigning a health insurance plan to you. In case your medical history shows signs of financial trouble or late payments, you may end up getting higher premium rates.
In addition to that, if you have a poor medical history, the assigned medical practitioners may order more tests and procedures to complete the diagnosis process. Depending on the kind of health insurance plan you have, you may end up paying quite a bit out of pocket.
Most of the insurance companies these days are offering the much-needed motivation and benefits to help you get your health on track. For instance, depending on the insurance provider and the health insurance plan you have chosen, you may get your gym membership fees reimbursed for using the gym services a certain number of times in a 6-month period.
All the insurance providers follow underwriting processes wherein the underwriters look at your medical issues that can cause death like heart disease and cancer.
The underwriters may also be concerned with diseases and disorders like neurological & emotional disorders, back problems and respiratory issues that may have an impact on your mobility limit but that don’t necessarily have an imminent threat to your life.
While looking at your medical history, the underwriters will look at the diagnosis, the time when you were diagnosed and how serious the nature of your treatment can be. Even if your insurance application gets approved, you can still be charged with higher premiums for falling into the category of high-risk policyholders.
The very basic purpose of a health insurance plan is to pay for the hospitalization expenses incurred by you. The bottom line is that now you are aware that you can take up different healthy habits to save on the premium amount for your policy. With a healthy lifestyle in place, you can look into different health insurance plans to find out how it will affect your health insurance premiums and the rest of your insurance portfolio.