Two Norwegian brothers, Harald and Mathias Ramen, lived a life of happiness – a feeling that might sound strange to most people of our times. No one would have known the heart-warming and morally enriching story of the two brothers had not photographer Elin Høyland stumbled across them. Harald and Mathias were aged 75- and 80-years-old, respectively, at the time when Elin met them. They lived their entire lives on the farm they grew up on, never married and shared almost every moment together till death took them apart. Here are pictures of the two from Elin’s series titled “The Brothers”.
1. Together on the farm
2. Passionate about bird-watching; took care of over 20 bird boxes
3. Their entertainment was the radio and the newspaper
4. They had their TV returned when it started consuming too much of their time
5. Simple lives, simple dressing
6. And simple joys, too
7. Can we live in such a happy and simple way?
8. Happiness lies in togetherness
9. The Brothers shared a bedroom their entire lives
10. Then Harald flew to the heavens
11. And Mathias followed
Credit: Elin Høyland