‘Wonder Woman’ came as a pleasant surprise from the house of DC after a number of average movies. This project was expected to be a hit not only because this is the first time that a full movie dedicated to a female superhero has been made but also because the character of Wonder Woman debunked the traditional way pop culture viewed her — as a sex symbol.
Gal Gadot deserves a huge part of the credit for playing this role so strongly that it has become an icon. There is a lot we know about the marvels of ‘Wonder Woman’, but there is a lot to the woman who played this character which makes her special. Here are the facts about Gal Gadot you might not have known:
1. Gal Gadot is from Israel, which makes her the first non-American to play ‘Wonder Woman’.
2. Her maternal grandparents were Holocaust survivors.
3. At the age of 19, she became Miss Israel and went on to represent her country in the Miss Universe pageant in 2004.
4. Gadot was not keen on winning the pageant. She tried to sabotage her chances of winning by showing up late and saying things like, “I’m sorry, English not so good.”
5. Gal is a veteran of the Israel Defense Forces. She served as an enlisted soldier.
6. The reel-life Amazonian warrior was a combat instructor in the army which required her to train male soldiers.
7. It was her army training that earned her the action-packed role of Gisele Yashar, an ex-Mossad agent, in the Fast and Furious franchise in which Gal performed all of her stunts.
8. Gal Gadot was almost a Bond girl as she was approached by a casting director looking for a new bond girl for ‘Quantum of Solace’.
9. Gal is a badass in real life. She owns a black 2006 Ducati Monster and rides it often.
10. If things had gone according to Gal’s plans, she would have been a lawyer today as she completed 1 year of law studies before taking up acting and modelling as a career.
11. Gal received 6 month-long rigorous physical training for swordsmanship, Kung Fu, kickboxing, capoeira and Brazilian jiu-jitsu for the role of Wonder Woman.
12. Gal Gadot identifies as a feminist. To break the shackles of forced norms of femininity, she attended the red carpet for ‘Wonder Woman’ in $50 flats instead of traditional heels. Gal prioritized comfort and health over fashion.
13. Gadot was 5 months pregnant while shooting for ‘Wonder Woman’ and worked for her character and the stunts with diligence. She has come out as a strong empowered woman breaking the stereotypes attached to women being weak.
14. Ahead of the Israeli premiere of the film on June 1, the Azrieli Center in Tel Aviv was lit up to honor Gadot. The towers were illuminated with the message: “We are proud of you, Gal Gadot, our Wonder Woman.”
15. Gal was quite nervous while auditioning for Wonder Woman. So, she listened to Beyoncé’s ‘Who run the world? Girls!’ to gather confidence.
16. Despite being a successful model, Gal Gadot is basically each one of us as she says in one of her interviews with a fashion magazine, “I’m still trying to figure out how to put on eyeliner properly”.