Best known for playing the character of clever Tyrion Lannister in ‘Game Of Thrones’, Peter Dinklage is an acclaimed American actor.
Dinklage has already won a Golden Globe and an Emmy Award for his role in the show and established himself as a favorite of many. Since most of us know him only since he has appeared in ‘Game of Thrones’, here are some facts about the actor that you probably didn’t know. Have a look.
1. Peter Hayden Dinklage was born in Morristown, New Jersey, to Diane (Hayden) and John Carl Dinklage.
2. He suffered from achondroplasia, a common form of dwarfism since birth. As a result of this, he is 4 feet 5 inches tall, has a normal-sized head and torso but short limbs.
3. Quite early in life, he learned that he had a common form of dwarfism that affects growth of bones. While he accepted his condition, at times he found it challenging while he was growing up.
4. During childhood, Dinklage and his brother used to put on puppet musicals for their entire neighborhood. For these musicals, they made drum kits from tuna cans.
5. Tyrion Lannister of ‘Game Of Thrones’ has German, English, and Irish descent.
6. To be able to survive high-school at the age of 13, he made himself believe that he was William Burroughs and had an ego to square.
7. He got his education at Delbarton School, a Catholic prep school for boys where he enhanced his acting skills by joining the school’s drama club.
8. Peter Dinklage is a vegetarian since he was 16 years old.
9. Before graduating from the Bennington College in 1991, he had appeared in a number of productions and was appreciated for his acting skills.
10. Before he began his career as an actor, Dinklage played in Whizzy, a band that he describes as “punk-funk-rap band”.
11. He still has a scar from his neck up to his eyebrows because of an accident he had while performing at New York’s popular club CBGB.
12. The first theatrical success of Peter Dinklage was a fifth grade production of ‘The Velveteen Rabbit’. He played the lead and received a great response from the audience.
13. He spent years writing and producing a film titled ‘My Dinner with Herve’ with writer-director Sacha Gervasi. A film about the last days of French actor Hervé Villechaize who also suffered from dwarfism and committed suicide soon after his interview with Gervasi in 1993.
14. Dinklage’s debut happened in 1995 with the film ‘Living in Oblivion’. The actor received immense recognition for his first film, in which he had played the role of an actor frustrated with the inadequate and caricatured roles given to actors with dwarfism.
15. In 2003, he did the film ‘The Station Agent’ which proved to be his breakout role. Dinklage received Independent Spirit and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations for Best Actor for this film.
16. In 2003, he said that he let his dwarfism get to him when he was younger. He was bitter and angry as an adolescent and had definitely put up “walls”. But as he got older, he realized that he had to have a sense of humor and that its not his problem.
17. In 2005, he married Erica Schmidt, a theater director and the two have a daughter.
18. In 2012, on being asked if he saw himself as a “spokesman for the rights of little people”, Dinklage said that everyone is different. Every person has a different life, a different history and different ways of dealing with it. He also said that just because he appears to be okay with it, he can’t preach how to be okay with it. He also revealed that there are some days when he is not really okay with his dwarfism.
19. From the very beginning, George R.R. Martin, author of ‘Game of Thrones’ wanted Peter Dinklage to play Tyrion. In fact, he wasn’t even auditioned before being offered the role. However, Dinklage, unlike Tyrion, does not visualize himself as a tough guy and said that his fighting scenes on the show are a big lie.
20. Long before working as co-stars at ‘Game of Thrones’, Dinklage and Lena Headey were friends. In fact, he was the one who has suggested Headey’s name for the character of Cersei.
21. He now lives with his family in Manhattan.
22. He raises Farm Sanctuary and has been the spokesperson for the Walk for Farm Animals by the organization.