1. The real name of Sathyaraj is Rangaraj Subbaiah. He is a noted Tamil actor who started his acting career back in 1978. At first, he gained popularity doing villainous roles.
It was only in 1985, after 7 years of acting, he received an offer to play a hero in ‘Iravu Pookkal’
2. He considers veteran actor and director, Manivannan Rajagopal, a key influence in his life.
He says “I still reminisce about the beautiful moments that I had with…Manivannan, a genius of a person. In fact, he is the one who taught me many things in life and changed me, I became a good human from being just an actor. Every day, we used to have conversations over the phone on a wide range of topics. It was a 30-year relationship. No one could understand me the way he did”.
3. He played the role of Rajinikanth’s father in ‘Mr. Bharath’ when he was only 31 and Rajini sir was 35. He never cared about the age factor, only acting mattered to him.
4. He continued working on other film projects alongside the mega epic drama ‘Baahubali’, while Prabhas and Rana Daggubati chose to work on ‘Baahubali’ only.
He told The Hindu about his experience of working with the genius, S. S. Rajamouli,
“He first tells the scene and I wonder how he will take the scene, I am stunned by his narration and each detail he comes up with. He is so meticulous and all that became possible because of his hard work. There are so many dimensions in the character given to me. Everyone scored brownie points with the role they have been allotted and I don’t agree I am the only one who did well. While Prabhas and Rana stayed put for three years on that one project, actors like me and Ramakrishna continued to do other movies too.”
5. He had learned sword fighting when he started his acting career, about 30 years back. Hence, it was easy for him to master the techniques for ‘Baahubali’
He recalled his Baahubali experience, “I learnt sword fighting when I entered movies 30 years ago. I can do it with both my hands, it is not a problem for me. The style was a bit different but Peter Hein, the fight master taught it differently. The grammar is the same but the body language changed a bit. It wasn’t at all difficult,”
6. He refused to play the role of the villain in Rajinikanth’s movie ‘Sivaji’.
He clarified his stand, “I was offered the villain’s role in Sivaji and I did not take it up. I was offered Napolean’s role in Dasavatharam. The thing is that I do not look at the film, the director, or anything else. I look at my character and only if I like it do I take up the role.”
7. He has acted in over 200 films, including Telugu, Malayalam, Hindi and Kannada films. That deserves an applause.
8. He calls himself Kollywood’s Amitabh Bachchan.
He says, “I want to do characters like what Amitabh Bachchan is doing; something out of the box. I am doing one film with a unique subject. Editor Antony who worked for Shankar is directing it; it is an exciting role. As for films, I’d really like to do roles like the one Amitabh did in Cheeni Kum.”
9. He is an atheist.
A non-believer in God, Sathyaraj is an ardent follower of thoughts and ideas of E V R Periyar. He says there is no room for temples and heavenly beliefs in my life.
10. He has acted with Shah Rukh Khan and Deepika Padukone in ‘Chennai Express’.
He played the role of Durgeshwara Azhagusundaram, Deepika Padukone’s father.