Even though we eat different kinds of food every day, most of us don’t know certain facts associated with them. While there are many myths as well as facts surrounding the foods that we eat or know, we often tend to ignore or never care to know them. However, there are many interesting facts about food that we eat every day.
In this post, we bring you a list of 21 interesting facts about food that will sure to blow your mind. Take a read.
1. Potatoes can absorb and reflect Wi-Fi signals
2. Coconut water can be used as a substitute for blood plasma in the case of an absolute emergency
3. Fruit-flavored snacks are made with the same wax used on cars.
And the gelatin in them is mostly made from pork skins, and pork and cattle bones or split cattle hides.
4. Grapes explode when put them in the microwave
5. Honey will never expire or rot and can last up to 3000 years
6. 100 per cent pure orange juice bought in the stores is actually 100 per cent artificially flavored by fragrance companies
7. Carrots were originally purple
8. Monk fruit extract is about 300 times sweeter than sugar
9. Garlic can cause third-degree burns if left directly on the skin for a prolonged period of time
This is because the chemicals in it are so potent.
10. The varieties of apple are quite many that it would take 20 years to taste all if we take one every day
11. Airplanes foods aren’t that tasty because our sense of smell and taste drop by 30 per cent when inside a pressurized cabin at high altitudes
12. Do you know that cheese is the most frequently stolen food item in the world?
13. Strawberry and cashew are the only agricultural products that bear its seeds on the outside.
14. The popsicle was invented accidentally by an 11-year-old boy
15. A 100gm chocolate bar takes approximately 1,700 liters of water to make.
16. Do you know that kiwifruit can improve your eyesight?
It’s a surprisingly good source of lutein, an antioxidant that protects your vision.
17. Do you know that it could cover the great wall of China 8 times with the number of jars of Nutella sold in a year?
18. Scientists are able to turn peanut butter into diamonds because of its high carbon content
19. Ketchup was compressed into pill form and sold as a medicine to cure diarrhea in the 1800s
20. Mcdonald’s sell an average of 75 burgers every second of every day on a global scale
21. Chocolate was used as currency for the Aztecs because they couldn’t grow cacao in the dry highlands of Central Mexico
Interesting, isn’t it?