Leaving a foreign object behind after surgery is a well-known problem that is faced by patients. Research studies have shown that thousands of such incidents occur every year all across the globe. Such a surgical tool when left inside a patient could lead to a number of serious health issues and may even lead to death. These tools are most commonly seen on X-rays during routine follow-up visits or if a patient has persistent pain or discomfort.
Such a case of medical negligence was recently came to light at Hyderabad’s Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences as the doctors left a pair of artery forceps inside a woman’s stomach during surgery. Artery forceps or clamps are used by surgeons to remove tissues and hold objects during surgery.
Surprisingly, it remained there for the next three months. Maheswari Choudhary, a 33-year-old resident of Mangalhat, had complained of persistent abdominal pain following which she was readmitted to the hospital.
During a routine check-up, an X-report revealed the truth behind her pain. Soon, she was admitted and was taken in for surgery to remove the surgical tool.
The operation was conducted by a surgeon in the department of surgical gastroenterology. The hospital administration has already conducted a committee of inquiry. A complaint regarding negligence by the doctors have been filed and in this two doctors have been booked. A Consumer Court is likely to look into the case as well.
Mahadev, a close relative of the Maheshwari, had said:
“She was complaining of stomach ache within days of surgery at NIMS. We tried different kinds of medicines but her condition did not improve. This is totally negligent on the part of surgeons because of which she had to suffer.”
Here is how netizens reacted:
He must be a Jhola chaap Doctor..also one another surgery again.. Beware of such Doctors.. And who will pay for this surgery!
Also SeeTop Most Characters of Mahabharata
— Shailendra (@shail9730) February 9, 2019
Such doctors may posted as peon in the same hospital. Shocking
— Ashk Machhanvi (@Machhanvi60) February 9, 2019
I think this is the lifethreatenig mistake and law should work without any interpretation given by any authority/assaciation.
— Dr.Shankar Prasad ( Dr.S.Prasad ) (@DrShankarPrasa6) February 9, 2019
Is this effect of reservation or careless of Dr .shameful incident in health sector.
— vipin (@vipinkrmehta) February 9, 2019
— vikram (@vikram140gulati) February 9, 2019
Why is it always forceps or cotton ?!
— Red Sickle Boy (@Rosocog) February 9, 2019
According to researchers, such incidents happen because of lack of policies and procedures, a failure to comply with existing procedures, and failures in communication with fellow doctors.