Corona Virus (COVID-19) has been taking the world by storm. We, sincerely, hope that all of you are at home and taking the right set of precautions to safeguard yourself from this deadly virus. Many of us have been receiving all kinds of information about Corona and while our social media pages are full of forwarded posts and messages, it is really important that we separate the facts from the myths before sending them to our friends and relatives. So, we have made a list of all the common myths that have been making rounds on the internet about this deadly disease and double-checked them. Today, we will bust these myths with facts for you. Also, all of these facts come straight through WHO (World Health Organization), John Hopkins University and Hospital in USA and the AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Studies) institute in New Delhi, so you can trust these facts completely.
1. MYTH: Face Masks Can Protect You From Corona Virus.
TRUTH: Standard surgical masks cannot protect you from the Corona virus, as they are not designed to block out viral particles. These masks can help prevent infected people from spreading the virus through blocking the respiratory droplets that could get in touch with other people. Masks also help the healthy people to not contract any virus through their noses and mouths. One must ensure while wearing their masks that their noses and mouths are properly covered at the edges.
2. MYTH: The Cure To Corona Virus Is Available.
TRUTH: As of today, no successful cure has been yet created to combat Corona. Medical scientists around the globe are actively testing new drugs to create a cure and we hope they become successful soon.
3. MYTH: Products That Come From China Can Affect You With Corona Virus.
TRUTH: According to WHO, it is completely safe to receive letters, packages or products from China as the Corona virus doesn’t survive long on letters or packages. The materials used for packaging are not ideal for the virus to survive.
4. MYTH: If You Catch Corona Virus, You’ll Know.
TRUTH: The various symptoms of Corona virus range from cough, fever, weakness and breathing difficulties, but it has been said that a person infected from Corona virus can show no symptoms of that disease for as long as 2 weeks.
5. MYTH: Children Cannot Get Corona Virus.
TRUTH: Even though kids are less likely to be affected by the Corona virus, they are not totally safe from the disease as they are equally vulnerable to the Corona virus as adults are.
6. MYTH: Corona Virus Only Affects Older People.
TRUTH: People of all ages can be affected by Corona virus, though older people are more likely to be affected by the disease due to a weaker immune system.
7. MYTH: Corona Virus Can Be Transmitted By Eating Chicken, Eggs and Meat.
TRUTH: In the advisory published by AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Studies) New Delhi, it has been said that there is no conclusive evidence that properly cooked food can transmit the Corona virus in any form.
8. MYTH: Pets Can Spread Corona Virus.
TRUTH: No evidence has been conclusively found that pets can spread Corona virus to humans. One case in China, where a dog was affected by the Corona virus showed no signs of illness and it might be possible that dogs are vulnerable of picking the virus from humans.
9. MYTH: The Corona Virus Is Less Deadly Than The Flu.
TRUTH: The common flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%, while the Corona virus has a mortality rate which is 20 times higher than the common flu at around 2.3%. The corona virus is way more deadly than the common flu.
10. MYTH: You Can Protect Yourself From Corona virus By Gargling With Bleach, Salts, Acetic Acid or Steroids.
TRUTH: None of these can protect an individual from Corona virus. So, one should not rely on these practices thinking that they can kill the virus.
11. MYTH: Can The Dead Body Of A Person Infected With Corona Virus Transmit The Infection?
TRUTH: The dead body of a person who was infected with corona virus cannot transmit the virus to any other individual.
12. MYTH: Corona Virus Can Be Transmitted Through Mosquito Bites.
TRUTH: Corona virus is a respiratory disease and no such evidence has been found yet to suggest yet that the virus could also be transmitted through mosquito bites.
13. MYTH: Corona Virus Can Only Be Transmitted In Places With Cold Weather.
TRUTH: As per reports, Corona virus can be transmitted in places with cold weather and snow and can be equally transmitted in places with hot and humid climates.
14. MYTH: You Can Get Corona Virus By Eating At A Chinese Restaurant.
TRUTH: The Corona virus doesn’t just affect people from Chinese descent. While it is highly recommended that properly cooked home food should be eaten and one should avoid eating from a restaurant due to hygiene issues.
15. MYTH: Corona Virus Was Created As A Bio-weapon. It Is A Man-Made Disease And Was Made In A Lab.
TRUTH: This is nothing, but a conspiracy theory. There is no evidence that the Corona virus was made in a lab. This virus closely resembles to two other viruses such as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV and all three viruses seem to have originated in bats.
We hope all of your myths have been busted. We urge all of you to take the right precautions and safeguard yourself and your entire family and friends against the Corona virus.
Here How to Protect yourself
- Clean your hands regularly.
- Wash your hands with soap and water, and dry them thoroughly.
- Use alcohol-based handrub if you don’t have immediate access to soap and water.
- Maintain Social Distancing.
How do I wash my hands properly?
Washing your hands properly takes about as long as singing “Happy Birthday” twice,
using the images below.