“Daraa rahe ho ki tamasha bana rahe ho!?” (Are you trying to scare me or are you making a fool of yourself?)
The last time I entered a movie hall for a Bollywood horror movie a little late, I thought I had entered a comedy screening by mistake. The laughs were that loud and that frequent. There is something amiss about Bollywood Horror films and here are the reasons why!
Stereotypical Characters: All Horror movies are made with the same kind of characters. The problem with Bollywood is, it takes it to a mind numbing level of predictability. Stereotypical characters of Bollywood Horror Films, in no particular order!
1. A group of over-adventurous youngsters
2. A scared lady
3. A horny couple
4. The non-believer hero
5. Horror Fodder – people we know are going to die
6. The Revealer – Old guy who warns/knows the whole story
7. The Tantric
8. The Psychologist
9. The Policeman
If it was just stereotypical characters, it was one thing, but there is a whole host of things that tend to go wrong only with Bollywood Horror Films!
10. Newbie Directors
For some reason, Bollywood Horror Films are treated like B-Grade films even before they are made. The established names won’t touch them and all they are left with is a B-Grade cast and newbie directors.
12. Bad actors
We mentioned the B-Grade cast? Horror films also see a lot of actors with dying careers or such familiar faces in the genre that you see the actor and you understand what kind of movie this is!
13. Worse effects
If you think the actors are bad, wait till you see the special effects and make up!
14. Gore instead of Ghost
Honestly, horror doesn’t mean gore all the time. With balgam running down the Bhoot’s nose and generous helpings of ketchup and more screams than strictly necessary, it is more like training for horror, in case you didn’t notice they were trying to scare you.
15. Really bad songs
Tell me two songs from horror movies that you hum, apart from Gumnaam Hai Koi and Baby Doll? You didn’t even know Baby Doll was from a horror movie, did you?
16. Unimpressive atmosphere building
Screeching tyres, rains, night, lonely road, scary building near jungle with a cemetery on the side. That is it.
17. Half assed sequels
A horror movie does relatively well and they come up with a hurried sequel for it and totally spoil the original premise.
18. Not enough inspiration from Hollywood
Naina, Click, Raaz, Hum Kaun Hai, Alone, the list is long if you sit down for it. But then again, while they copy, they leave out the good parts.
That is it! There are many reasons why Bollywood horror movies suck consistently. Yet there have been a few really good ones – Ragini MMS, Bhoot, Raat, 13B, Pizza. Why do you think most Bollywood horror movies suck so much?
- 12 Horror Web Series That Will Make You Very Scared Even During The Day
- 13 Best Indian Web Series
- 21 Horror Movies That Will Thrill You This Halloween
- 21 Japanese Horror Movies That Will Send Chills Down Your Spine
- Top 10 Horror Movies For This Halloween, We Dare You To Watch Them Alone
- 35 Terrifying Short Horror Stories That Will Chill You to the Bone
- 7 Horror Video Games That Will Scare Your Pants Off
- 13 Terrifying Horror Movies You Can’t UNSEE
- Top 10 Hindi Horror Movies Which Are Funnier Than Hera Pheri
- 15 One-sentence Horror Stories That Will Scare The Sh*T Out Of You
- The Mysterious Teaser Of ‘Tumbbad’ Is A Hope That Horror In India Is Not Dead
- These 19 Two-Line Horror Stories Will Scare All Indian Children